completing pharm school prereq in CC after bachelors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deutsch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of double majoring, but that would mean I can't complete all of my pharmacy prereqs in my undergrad school due to maximum unit caps. Is it acceptable to complete the rest of the prereqs at a community college after i get my bachelors? Would it be viewed as bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking of double majoring, but that would mean I can't complete all of my pharmacy prereqs in my undergrad school due to maximum unit caps. Is it acceptable to complete the rest of the prereqs at a community college after i get my bachelors? Would it be viewed as bad?

This is pretty normal. Most students complete most of their prerequisites outside of their university. The only exceptions are Physiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Microbiology, which must be taken at a 4-year university to cover your bases.

Unit Caps...sounds like a UC. LoL. I remember those.

I did so, and I got into my first choice school no problem. Plus, classes were smaller and it was much easier to talk to the professor - I think I learned more than if I would have taken physics or organic chem in a 500 person lecture.

I just don't know if it's worth your money to double major and spend more time in school. I took 4 classes at a community college (actually, are satellite schools like IUPUI considered a community college?) and each class cost like $900 plus $100-200 for each textbook.

Edit: I took microbiology, organic chem, and physics after I got my undergraduate degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't know if it's worth your money to double major and spend more time in school.

It all depends on the person. For me, a double degree wouldn't have been much more money, if at all. Don't do a double major for the sake of graduate school. Do it because it is your last chance to learn something in depth.

I hit the unit cap as well. In my experience, I was able to appeal the cap and was permitted to go over the limit. This is an option you might want to look into and see if it's available at your school.

It all depends on the person. For me, a double degree wouldn't have been much more money, if at all. Don't do a double major for the sake of graduate school. Do it because it is your last chance to learn something in depth.

I guesss the deal with more money is that if you don't take the prereqs while getting your degree, you'll have to pay for them at community college instead of having them as part of your tuition from your first degree. Plus, if it takes you another year to get to school then that's one less year of making 100k. I mean, I got my BA and then took some prereqs after because at the time I didn't know I wanted to do pharmacy - if I had just taken the classes while I was getting my BA I would have saved $4,000 plus I would have been class of '11 instead of '12. Or if I would have just done pre-pharm and not bothered with a degree I could have been class of '09 and saved a TON of money. It all worked out but if I could do things over again I would have just taken the damn classes.

I guesss the deal with more money is that if you don't take the prereqs while getting your degree, you'll have to pay for them at community college instead of having them as part of your tuition from your first degree. Plus, if it takes you another year to get to school then that's one less year of making 100k. I mean, I got my BA and then took some prereqs after because at the time I didn't know I wanted to do pharmacy - if I had just taken the classes while I was getting my BA I would have saved $4,000 plus I would have been class of '11 instead of '12. Or if I would have just done pre-pharm and not bothered with a degree I could have been class of '09 and saved a TON of money. It all worked out but if I could do things over again I would have just taken the damn classes.

LoL. No, no. I totally get that. People with a double major usually just want something to prove or want to learn something. If you're purely going through the motions of getting a PharmD then by all means just do the bare minimum and move on. My point is people shouldn't look at things in monetary value if one chooses to value their college education. Hope that makes sense.