Completing PhD in 7 or 8 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylortaylor164

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was talking with a friend the other day and he said that he may have to take 7 or 8 years to complete his PhD. I believe he said that he had to leave a practicum as they were asking too many hours from him. I told him this may look bad on his CV but he disagreed. Who is right here?

Members don't see this ad.

If there is an adequate explanation, it can be fine. But I would say that an inordinate amount of time spent in grad school can be a red flag. Also, are we talking grad school plus internship, or just grad school years?

Hi,

I was talking with a friend the other day and he said that he may have to take 7 or 8 years to complete his PhD. I believe he said that he had to leave a practicum as they were asking too many hours from him. I told him this may look bad on his CV but he disagreed. Who is right here?

6+1 (internship) is not uncommon. 7+1 and 8+1 is more rare and may mean something is not right?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did 7+1 just because I had gotten married in year 5 and my wife moved to join me so moving again for internship right away would have just been...mean. I've always been more of a "slow and steady wins the race" kinda guy anyways and enjoyed grad school so wasn't in any real hurry.

It came up in I think 1 or 2 out of 13 internship interviews and not a single time afterwards. I don't hide it, but I did structure my CV just so it isn't completely obvious (i.e. I just list the graduation date for my degrees versus 200x-200y). Landed some pretty prestigious gigs since then without a mention. That said, as others have noted above I do think it depends some on circumstances. It was a clinical science program and even within that world I was at the extreme far-end of research-focused. I was quite productive and came out with ~15 pubs, multiple grants and awards, etc. and those kinds of things would likely overshadow any concerns about my timeline. If a relatively pure-clinician coming out with a couple posters and maybe 1 pub took that long, I agree it could be more of a red flag. Still don't think it would be a fatal flaw per se, but perhaps more of an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with erg, 6+1 would not be uncommon, particularly for more research-minded folks trying to pad publications. After that, it may require some explanation.
The clinical psych PhD program at my undergrad alma marter has long had a painful time to completion problem (~25% of the students taking 6+1 years, with another 25% taking more than 7 years, only 8% doing 4+1), and I’m honestly surprised that it hasn’t been more of an issue for them, because it’s really, really not a publication-heavy group of students (most graduating with 0 publications).

Last edited:
The clinical psych PhD program at my undergrad alma marter has long had a painful time to completion problem (~25% of the students taking 6+1 years, with another 25% taking more than 7 years, only 8% doing 4+1), and I’m honestly surprised that it hasn’t been more of an issue for them, because it’s really, really not a publication-heavy group of students (most graduating with 0 publications).

Yeah, if people are coming out very productive in terms of research, those numbers don't look bad at all. But, if you were in school full-time and are applying to internship after 7 years in grad school with 0 pubs, it would definitely strike me as odd as a reviewer.

Average time to complete for my program (including internship) was 6 years with an SD of 1 year. Almost every cohort of ~10 students had at least 1-2 students take 7 years to graduate. Maybe once every other year a student took more than 7 years to graduate.

My university had a "hard limit" of 7 years to completion, although I suspect there would've been the potential to request an extension. I would agree that 6+1 isn't altogether unusual and probably wouldn't raise many eyebrows. 7+1 is less common and could be a yellow flag if on a CV, depending (see above posts for some extenuating situations).