Completing requirements and going on to residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortho07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that this is probably on everyone's mind who got into post doc this year, and is still in dental school. My residency starts on July 2nd and Im trying to complete all of my requirements as is everyone else. My question is, what if I cant complete them by my graduation and I have to stay a week or two extra?? Do we just have to complete everything by July 2nd? Im asking because if we dont finish by May 15th graduation day our diploma comes sometime in september I believe.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that as long as your school will verify that your requirements are complete before your residency starts it won't matter. Once your requirements are done you are a DDS or DMD whether you received your diploma or not

Ortho07 Where are you headed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Once your requirements are done you are a DDS or DMD whether you received your diploma or not

Actually, this is completely untrue. You are not a DDS or DMD until you receive your diploma from the university, or the university states, in writing that it has conferred upon you the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery/Medicine.

The reason the semantics are important: if you don't have certification of receiving the DDS/DMD degree, you are not eligilble to have a dental license or temporary license. This can be a big deal for residency programs.

This is not a question for the internet message boards - you really should ask your PD or residents at your program. Each program has a different philosophy.

That's why I said your school has to verify it.

I don't Imagine their is a program that would reject you if your dental school provides them with documentation that you have completed all the requirements. Also sometimes it's as easy as asking the dean of the school to help you get your diploma so you can attend your residency. If he will not and all your course requirements are complete than you must have ticked someone off along the way.

Good Luck

What I have heard is that if you go beyond graduation, then you get a certificate of completion from your school and show that to your post doc program. I as others am just worried that I may not finish my requirements on time and stay a week or two extra. I just dont want the program to "unaccept" me because I finish a week or two later.........

The program can "unaccept you" if you do not honor the contract and do not start on time. In NY you must be eligible and have in hand a NYS limited permit beginning July 1. With that said, most programs will not relinquish your spot, but will make you stay 365 days, and finish late. This is not uncommon.

Im sure I will finish before july 2nd when the program starts. I was just curious as to what happens when you finish a week or two after graduation and you dont get your actual diploma (which would then come sometime in september). All you receive is a certificate of completion. I have heard that it most likely wont matter, but its better to be safe than sorry.