Complex Transcript Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Botan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I had classes that I took at a CC while in HS that were "college level" and graded for credits. I got a C for one class (didn't try, didn't care) and then an A in the next (did try, did care).

When I applied to my undergrad, I didn't transfer those transcripts. (Now) I realize what a mistake that was. I've read that if caught, institutions can/will charge you with academic dishonesty, kick you out, or, even, withdraw whatever degree they conferred to you.

My institution hasn't found out but I'm filling out the AMCAS right now and I am afraid to not list those CC classes. I have heard one story already of someone who was kicked out of medical school for not listing them. If I list them, will the AMCAS/med schools wonder why those classes did not appear on my undergrad transcript? Will they communicate with my undergrad institution? Are all these schools out to kill me for the mistake I made?

I'm scared. :scared: Advice? Words of comfort? Or...a "you're screwed. sucks."

Members don't see this ad.

So...I had classes that I took at a CC while in HS that were "college level" and graded for credits. I got a C for one class (didn't try, didn't care) and then an A in the next (did try, did care).

You will have to send a transcript from the community college to AMCAS in addition to a transcript from your main university. The C and A grades will be included into your AMCAS GPA calculations. However, they will be (if you do so) notated as "high school coursework."

I'm not aware of any rule that says you must transfer all CC coursework to your 4 year institution, so I think you're fine. You do have to count it on AMCAS though.

Page 47 of the 2012 AMCAS Instruction manual states pretty clearly that high school dual enrollment transcripts must be submitted through the college at which you took the classes.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/131750/data/2012amcasinstructionmanual.pdf

It doesn't seem like they would be concerned that the grades are not printed on your current transcript.

There is a possibility that they wouldn't find out if you didn't submit the CC transcripts, but the risk of not getting into med school is not worth it, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)

When I applied to my undergrad, I didn't transfer those transcripts. (Now) I realize what a mistake that was. I've read that if caught, institutions can/will charge you with academic dishonesty, kick you out, or, even, withdraw whatever degree they conferred to you.

My institution hasn't found out but I'm filling out the AMCAS right now and I am afraid to not list those CC classes. I have heard one story already of someone who was kicked out of medical school for not listing them. If I list them, will the AMCAS/med schools wonder why those classes did not appear on my undergrad transcript? Will they communicate with my undergrad institution? Are all these schools out to kill me for the mistake I made?

I'm scared. :scared: Advice? Words of comfort? Or...a "you're screwed. sucks."

I don't think you're required to transfer your credits from another institution to your undergrad. It could be different for each school, and yours may have required that you send the transcripts when applying. I highly doubt it's *required* to transfer credits though.

I don't think you're required to transfer your credits from another institution to your undergrad. It could be different for each school, and yours may have required that you send the transcripts when applying. I highly doubt it's *required* to transfer credits though.

I agree. Double check and make sure that you are "required" to, literally, transfer credits before you flip out. I have never, ever heard of this being an issue, so I'd really be surprised if your predicament is real.

Now, when you applied to your current institution, they probably required that you submit all of your transcripts for review, not transfer those transcripts. It's a subtle, but important difference. If you failed to disclose those CC grades to your home institution, then I suspect that they may be upset by said failure.

Either way, you have two options.

(1) Find a faculty member you have a close connection with and fully trust, preferably one with some standing at the university, and explain the situation. They can probably ensure, should your home institution discover this discrepancy, that you won't be kicked out or be marked with academic honesty. If someone can vouche for you that this is an honest mistake, and you are trust worthy, no issue.

(2) Send the CC and University transcripts to AMCAS and enter both sets of grades. AMCAS is not going to contact your home institution and ask, "Hey, guys...I was just wondering if this random guy I don't know was supposed to transfer these CC credits over to you, because he didn't. I know that most schools don't require this, but on the off chance this was the case, I wanted to take 30 minutes out of my lunch break to let you know. Yes, we do have 25,000 applications to verify, but I totally have time to call people's schools and randomly ask about their policies in relation to kids I don't know."

Yeah....

Mmm. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Sorry for not being clear in the OP. I didn't submit them at all. I'm actually going to call the registrar's office of my school today to see if there is anything that I can still do at this point.

In any case, I will probably end up submitting the grades to AMCAS and then just praying that nothing bad happens. :X I realize they have a large volume of files to process, but since they still are willing to have people go through each application and check things, they might wonder. Oh well.

Mmm. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Sorry for not being clear in the OP. I didn't submit them at all. I'm actually going to call the registrar's office of my school today to see if there is anything that I can still do at this point.

In any case, I will probably end up submitting the grades to AMCAS and then just praying that nothing bad happens. :X I realize they have a large volume of files to process, but since they still are willing to have people go through each application and check things, they might wonder. Oh well.

Do not even bother with sending them to your school (unless more credits means earlier class registration block), but you HAVE to send them to AMCAS. Its really that simple.

Chances are the grades won't transfer to your college GPA, but AMCAS certainly needs those transcripts. Every college you've attended should show up in National Student Clearinghouse records, and if they find out you've withheld a CC transcript from them, you can kiss med school bye-bye.