Complicated State Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sturling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Unknown USA" is a choice for people without a state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Cawolf. Do you know if putting down "Unknown USA" will decrease my chances for admission?
Probably not for private schools. Those typical have no state biases when it comes to admissions.

If you are living in Illinois, why not just get a drivers license (or state ID) in Illinois and register to vote as is your right as a US citizen living in Illinois. It can't hurt and it might help with admission to public medical schools in Illinois (or which there are 2 -- one gives preference to students from the southern part of the state).

Reactions: 2 users
If you are living in Illinois, why not just get a drivers license (or state ID) in Illinois and register to vote as is your right as a US citizen living in Illinois. It can't hurt and it might help with admission to public medical schools in Illinois (or which there are 2 -- one gives preference to students from the southern part of the state).

Thank you, that makes sense to me. I have already registered to vote and I have gotten a state ID. I read that there were other requirements too - like working for a year in Illinois and Vehicle registration? Because I don't meet those criterions, I was worried that indicating my state of residence as Illinois would be false.

Thank you, that makes sense to me. I have already registered to vote and I have gotten a state ID. I read that there were other requirements too - like working for a year in Illinois and Vehicle registration? Because I don't meet those criterions, I was worried that indicating my state of residence as Illinois would be false.

There is stating where you live and then there is qualifying for a tuition price break. I wouldn't expect vehicle registration to be a requirement given that many people, particularly city dwellers, don't own vehicles.

If you are registered to vote in Illinois you are either an Illinois resident or you are guilty of voter fraud.

Reactions: 1 user