1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer at PCOM? Other Medical Schools?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Dr JPH, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey all. As you may know, I will be attending PCOM next year (yay!).

Anyway...I have an opportunity to get a nice laptop (custom modified by a friend) and I was wondering the specifications required at PCOM.

If there aren't any specific computer requirements (software, hard drive, etc), could someone give me an idea of what I should make sure to have on this laptop?

I suppose this goes for any medical student, not just those at PCOM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PhillyGirl

PhillyGirl Member
    10+ Year Member

JP - don't waste your money. If you have a computer already (or if you don't) you're fine. I only use my computer at home to waste time. I use the school computers for everything, esp printing stuff because it's free (I don't have a printer at home, and ink and paper cost money, anyways)

PhillyGirl

4. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't agree with the last post. there is nothing like having your own laptop. i just got a Dell at the beginning of this school year and it was the best thing i did. you dont realize how nice they are till you have one. you can take it with you anywhere and plug into wherever you are. all the study tables at the library will have internet hook-ups and you can just plug right in. definetly get one!

5. PhillyGirl

PhillyGirl Member
    10+ Year Member

Being the totally defensive person I am, I must defend my statement. GRKBuckeye, sorry if I offend you, if you go to PCOM, I'd love to know what the heck you use your laptop for at school?!?

JP - The library at PCOM is full of computers (if you remember from your tour). I have NEVER had a problem getting on one, unless the server is down and then you can't get on with your own either. I don't know ANY students in my class that bring there laptop to school with them. There's just no need for it right now. You may want one 3&4 years, but buy one then b/c anything you get now might be obsolete by then. Anyways, only the booths in the library have hook-ups. There aren't any in our lecture halls or at the tables in the library...

So, I still say, save your money. You'll need it :)

PhillyGirl

6. bobo

bobo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

JPH,

Phillygirl is right. There is no real need for a laptop at PCOM. I would only get one if it is for your personal use, checking email at home, etc. You don't really need it for school stuff. Every now and then the school requires you to do something on the computer (ie write a short paper for biochem) but this is accomplished easily on any computer with a word processor. There may be programs out there on the computer to help you study (like Netter's cd) but you will spend far more time buried in books. I don't even know if you could plug into PCOM's network. PCOM tries to be very technologically oriented, but usually just goofs things up.

bobo

7. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Phillygirl, bobo

Thank you very much for your honest replies.

I was basically thinking the same thing.

The only reason I am asking is because I have the chance to get the laptop for a very reasonable price, being that a friend of mine is helping me get it (NO, it is not stolen :) ), and I have a family member who is willing to purchase it for my graduation gift.

So, I figured if I'm not paying for it and probably going to get one anyway, why not get one that will best suit me at PCOM.

Thanks again!

8. Trust me you need a computer and a printer when you get to your second year buy a PAlm to get ready for rotations.
    If you're not sure rent a computer for a couple months.

9. abs

abs Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Josh,

Hi! Congrats on getting into PCOM... As for needing a computer, don't bother... Let your family buy you something cool for a graduation present. I bought a laptop before I went to PCOM thinking that I would bring it to class everyday and take notes on it, but I have yet to bring it into school unless I am scribing a lecture (and even then I don't hook up to the school's network because it's a pain in the ass). Anyway, a laptop for 1st and 2nd year would probably be a waste of money and if you brought it to school with you it will give you back problems from carrying it around (and never taking it out of the case)... As for 3rd and 4th year it might be a different situation, but I don't know anything about that yet (being that I'm only a 2nd year). Also, don't go buying a palm yet either. Wait until 3rd year to see what is top of the line because right now you'll probably only use it for the games and an address book/date planner.

Hope this helps!

10. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Congrats JP. I have seen you on SDN for so long (well, the time I've been here) that I had thought you were deep into school already.. hehe. Well, good luck in the future and hopefully your posting frequency won't drop too much after the fall starts.

11. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you to all who congratulated me and wished me luck. I have been here for awhile and it is good to finally be able to say that I have gotten in somewhere...my first choice, no less.

I am rethinking the whole lap-top thing now that I read the responses from more and more people.

I suppose the only real benefit would be if I used it for off-campus use. Then again, the house I am living in next year will have internet access already and a generously donated computer.

If there are any more opinions, I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks again!

JPH
    PCOM Class of 2006