Computer-based MCAT Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience taking the computer-based MCAT? I'd like to know what your experience was, and how it was different from the paper version. (I suppose you can't mark the verbal passages, or scribble calculations...would like insights)

And suggestions to prepare for this format? I have to take this format as it's the only format offered (overseas).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Med01 said:
Does anyone have experience taking the computer-based MCAT? I'd like to know what your experience was, and how it was different from the paper version. (I suppose you can't mark the verbal passages, or scribble calculations...would like insights)

And suggestions to prepare for this format? I have to take this format as it's the only format offered (overseas).

Thanks.

yep, i took the cbt this past august b/c i happened to take the mcat in india and they only offer the computer version there. it's pretty different, i took the paper version back in 1999 and for the first couple months of studying i prepped the same way as before.

but during the last month, this is the stuff that i did differently:

- got used to reading passages and questions vertically (ie, the way they would be on a computer screen -- used a bookstand)
- got used to not being able to do any work on the question sheet, ie no marking passages and doing calculations on scratch paper
- got used to backwards timers. the cbt counts DOWN on each section
- dropped chunk of cash for access to aamc's online test bank. this was CRUCIAL. it's defiinitely different enough from paper that you develop a different method of working through the exam. ie, you can't easily flip through all the psgs. you can't circle the number of the q's you want to come back to. you can mark psgs though, and come back to them....there's a review screen to see where your blanks are etc. but obv, you want to get familiar and work with all this on practice tests, not the real thing.

overall, i didn't have a problem with it once i got used to working stuff out on scratch paper. actually, couple things i defiinitely liked better: 1. being able to move at my own pace. ie, if i fill out the personal info stuff fast, i can start the test rather than waiting 15 min extra for the slowest person to get done. 2. i liked clicking my answer for a question, rather than bubbling, felt like the odds of marking the wrong thing accidentally was less. 3. i really really liked typing the essays rather than writing by hand. i never write stuff out on paper anymore and my hand starts hurting when i write fast (but then again i scored a grade lower than last time on the essay section...go figure)

pm me if you need more info. good luck ;)