Computer format of real DAT vs. Topscore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VortexGreen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the TopScore CD the same computer format as the real DAT? Is the actual exam oversized (600x800 pixels) or is all the info (question, next button, etc.) on the same screen shot? Ex: do you have to scroll down to the next button and then back up every time you answer a question like in TopScore natural sciences (If set at 600x800 pixels)?

If anything's different, what's different?

Also, does the calculator for the QR section also pop out as an "exhibit" like the periodic table does? And can you use the keyboard for the calculator?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks pretty similar. The layout is spot on. Yes it does have an exhibit button for periodic tables and whatnot. The calculator sucked though. It lags a little bit.

yeah, you will have to scroll down to see some of the answers on a few questions. also, the calculator only works with the mouse. you can't use the keyboard for it and it is a bit slow, but it is identical to the basic windows calculator including the squareroot key.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a dead match to Achiever. Buy that program if you want a true simulation.

Yes, it is identical to Achiever. You can download a free demo of Achiever to view it. The font is bigger on real DAT than in Topscore thank God. You need a freaking magnifying glass to do that Topscore RC.

On the real DAT I recall not being able to find a window where you can review all the questions at once to find out whether or not you left some blank. But I may have just overlooked this. I remember during the reading comprehension section of clicking "back" on every questions to find which questions I left blank. The computer ended up freezing and I lost time.

What did you guys have your computer pixels set to when you used topscore/achiever? Thanks!

It is really frustrating using topscore with my pixels set at 600x800, since not much fits on the screen and I have to scroll around for things on every question. Do you have to scroll that much on the real DAT or should I be using a higher pixel setting?

Are you able to drag and highlight text with your curser? Not permanently, but temporarily?

It's a dead match to Achiever. Buy that program if you want a true simulation.

Yes, it is identical to Achiever. You can download a free demo of Achiever to view it. The font is bigger on real DAT than in Topscore thank God. You need a freaking magnifying glass to do that Topscore RC.

I downloaded the program and I like the format of Achiever much more than Topscore. Are you actually able to strike out answers on the real DAT? Also, do you receive the 10min/5min left prompt on the real DAT?

Topscore's software seems very outdated. I used the CD to install it. Maybe the on-line download of Topscore is more up-to-date?

Finally, what are the dimensions of the dry erase board they give you? Is it double-sided? Do you get two?

Thanks so much you guys!

I downloaded the program and I like the format of Achiever much more than Topscore. Are you actually able to strike out answers on the real DAT? Also, do you receive the 10min/5min left prompt on the real DAT?

Topscore's software seems very outdated. I used the CD to install it. Maybe the on-line download of Topscore is more up-to-date?

Finally, what are the dimensions of the dry erase board they give you? Is it double-sided? Do you get two?

Thanks so much you guys!

It's not a dry erase board, but two standard size laminated sheets of graph paper. They tried to tell me I could not have an eraser or tissue, but I showed them the text on the intro portion of the DAT that specifically states you will get an eraser. Don't be shy about demanding a tissue for erasing. I used it like crazy during the PAT & QR. Not sure about your other questions, but I don't remember striking out any wrong answers or seeing a 5/10 minute warning prompt. You can see the timer though.

No, you can't strike out answers on the real DAT. That is the only difference. But everything else, including the breaks and everything, looks the same as Achiever.

there is a 15min/5min left warning on the DAT. also, the section review screen doesn't tell you how many you marked or left blank like in topscore. you have to scroll through a list to see which questions are marked/blank. you can skip straight to the questions that are marked/blank from the review screen with the 'review all marked' button.

Thanks for replying guys!

But does anybody remember whether you are able to use the curser to drag and highlight text during RC?

Thanks for replying guys!

But does anybody remember whether you are able to use the curser to drag and highlight text during RC?

lol nope. Can you even do that in any if the prep programs?

lol nope. Can you even do that in any if the prep programs?

Yeah, achiever lets you highlight in yellow. Topscore also lets you drag your cursor over the text to temporarily highlight it in black, just like if you were to do that on this webpage.

I like highlighting the text while answering Qs to help me quickly move between my position in the text and the Q.

Anybody who's taken the real think remember if you are able to do this?

Yeah, achiever lets you highlight in yellow. Topscore also lets you drag your cursor over the text to temporarily highlight it in black, just like if you were to do that on this webpage.

I like highlighting the text while answering Qs to help me quickly move between my position in the text and the Q.

Anybody who's taken the real think remember if you are able to do this?

You can highlight in blue on the real DAT. Achiever has practically the exact same interface as the DAT.