Technology Computer help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any of you computer experts help me out! I am getting tons of Windows errors whenever I open up my programs. It is getting worse. I have a Dell desktop and REALLY don't want to call them. They are the worst! Is there anyway to clean windows (preferably free download if possible) without re-installing my OS? My CD-ROM drive is not recognizing my CD's ( I think it is related) So I can't even re-install my OS if I wanted to.

Thank you in advance!

BMW-

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you don't want to re-install, but think of your computer as a hotel room, not your house. Don't spread out too much, have backups, and change rooms once in a while. You gotta re-install sooner or later. Its best to reinstall when you plan to, rather than when you're forced to.

Antivirus software... free.grisoft.com/
Spyware software... safer-networking.org/

Hope these help.

I know you don't want to re-install, but think of your computer as a hotel room, not your house. Don't spread out too much, have backups, and change rooms once in a while. You gotta re-install sooner or later. Its best to reinstall when you plan to, rather than when you're forced to.
It's true. All versions of Microsoft Windows 'rot' over time, Windows XP does it slower than all the previous versions, but it still happens (Windows Vista isn't supposed to due this, but I doubt that given Microsoft's track record over the last 20 years.)

This 'rotting' happens mostly as a result of software being installed, uninstalled, patched, hotfixed, upgraded, etc... During any of these processes programs tend to alter windows system elements and/or add/subtract files incorrectly due to either being poorly written or because they conflict with the other progams in the system/the operating system itself (think of programs like medications in this respect, the more that are being taken the more likely they are to have negative interactions with one another and the host) and this eventually reaches a critical mass where the system experiences major slowdows that make it virtually unusable, serious program malfunctions, or the system just stops working all together.

The average person should probably do a clean Windows OS installation/clean image restoration once a year give or take in order to keep their system stable and running at full performance. I do it every 4-6 months since my system gets such a ridiculous amount of use. When it should be done has more to do with how much you use your system rather than any specific amount of time. Think of it like an oil change, the harder you ride your car the more frequently you need to change you oil, the same applies to your computer in this situation.

It's true. All versions of Microsoft Windows 'rot' over time

Yup...one of the many things that drove me to switch to the Mac. No viruses, no spyware, no adware, no need to routinely reinstall the OS. My only regret is not doing it sooner. ;)

Thanks for the advice, but my real problem is that my CD-Rom drive is not working due to these errors. Its a viscious cycle. I cannot install my OS disks b/c my drive won't even read my disks! When I go into "my computer" and click on my drive it does not even recognize that there is a CD there and I get an immediate windows error which closes the window. How can I get rid of these errors without re-installing OS just to get CD drive working!

Thanks,

BMW-

It's true. All versions of Microsoft Windows 'rot' over time, Windows XP does it slower than all the previous versions, but it still happens (Windows Vista isn't supposed to due this, but I doubt that given Microsoft's track record over the last 20 years.)

This 'rotting' happens mostly as a result of software being installed, uninstalled, patched, hotfixed, upgraded, etc... During any of these processes programs tend to alter windows system elements and/or add/subtract files incorrectly due to either being poorly written or because they conflict with the other progams in the system/the operating system itself (think of programs like medications in this respect, the more that are being taken the more likely they are to have negative interactions with one another and the host) and this eventually reaches a critical mass where the system experiences major slowdows that make it virtually unusable, serious program malfunctions, or the system just stops working all together.

The average person should probably do a clean Windows OS installation/clean image restoration once a year give or take in order to keep their system stable and running at full performance. I do it every 4-6 months since my system gets such a ridiculous amount of use. When it should be done has more to do with how much you use your system rather than any specific amount of time. Think of it like an oil change, the harder you ride your car the more frequently you need to change you oil, the same applies to your computer in this situation.

Could be a hardware problem (e.g., a bad CD-ROM drive). You might just want to take your computer to a local computer shop and let them fix it.

Thanks for the advice, but my real problem is that my CD-Rom drive is not working due to these errors. Its a viscious cycle. I cannot install my OS disks b/c my drive won't even read my disks! When I go into "my computer" and click on my drive it does not even recognize that there is a CD there and I get an immediate windows error which closes the window. How can I get rid of these errors without re-installing OS just to get CD drive working!

Thanks,

BMW-
You should be able to boot the OS disk from BIOS, before windows starts. Put the disk in, restart the PC and you should see a message "press any key to boot from CD." It sounds like your pc is so fudged at this point a clean install not involving windows is the best option. That means reformatting and losing all your data, so be prepared and make backups of any critical data. Only data you can't lose, because if you have a virus, transfer of program data can bring the virus along with it.

If this doesn't work then you either have a hardware problem not related to windows, a set of restore disks that require initialization from windows, or your hard-drive is set to boot before the CD drive in Bios (not likely). Bios should recognize your CD drive, unless the drive itself is busted. Boot into bios (normally by pressing "del" or F2 during starting, but this can vary) and check to make sure the CD drive is recognized under IDE devices.

I've been running the same install of Windows for over two years now with no problems, and I don't even run anti-virus. It's all about computer hygeine, knowing what not to download, and defragging at least bi-monthly. You should also have an app called spybot search and destroy with has an immunize function which blocks a good majority of problematic programs.

But, as people have said, if you're really computer illiterate (no offense) and can't handle the measures I mentioned, Mac is the way to go. Mac isn't better, it's just better if you don't know what you're doing.

It's even better when you do know what you're doing. ;)

I have to disagree with that. If you really know what you're doing you build your own machines, and Mac doesn't allow that. They have the same philosophy with hardware as they do with their OS: not allowing for third party licensing, and I think that sucks. It's the one reason I wont ever buy a mac, unless they change that policy of course.

Also, most the adjectives mac addicts use are along the lines of "sexy" and "easy to use," which doesn't exactly convey an aura of expertise.