computer question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bambii

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, i know this sounds like a dumb question but i just don't know enough about computers. i want to buy a laptop because med school starts shortly. i was wondering what's the best to buy. here are my options:

1. Fujitsu
2. Vaio
3. Toshiba

they all have about 60GB harddrive, 512 MB memory, DVD/CD RW combos and 15+" screens. anyone have recommendations? things I should absolutely look for in a laptop?

i asked the guy at the computer store but there are so many kinds of laptops, I'm not sure which one to go with.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet, something I know a lot about!

Bambii....I just did extensive research on this. Although the "best" are not always the cheapest, as you probably already know.

First off, why are you limited to those three? Those are some of the worst three! It a recent "Maximum PC" magazine they did a laptop shootout in which the Dell laptop came in first. The Powerbook by Mac, the HP, and the AlienWare were close competitors.

What to look for? Being in this business for a long time now, I'd say the ability to upgrade is my main motivator. More and more now mobil pc's are starting to come out with "modularized" components such as video cards. Memory has always been upgradable but the rest of the components were integrated into the mobo.

So, I'd choose first a higher end Dell with at least a 3.0gig proc, 512mb ram, 80 gig, and from there you can choose the 'fluff' (screen size, optical drives, etc...)

Toshiba's suck and are super buggy, Vaio's are not very upgradable at all, and Fujistu is hit and miss becuase they use their own drives which also suck. Get a good case, and DO NOT put Windows ME, 98 or any of the like. Run Windows XP PROFESSIONAL! Home edition is super buggy and tends to argue with other XP versions on networks. Also, of the laptop's I mentioned they all come with integrated 802.11 wireless connectivity, which rocks.

HTH,

-utopify

Utopify said:
Sweet, something I know a lot about!

Bambii....I just did extensive research on this. Although the "best" are not always the cheapest, as you probably already know.

First off, why are you limited to those three? Those are some of the worst three! It a recent "Maximum PC" magazine they did a laptop shootout in which the Dell laptop came in first. The Powerbook by Mac, the HP, and the AlienWare were close competitors.

What to look for? Being in this business for a long time now, I'd say the ability to upgrade is my main motivator. More and more now mobil pc's are starting to come out with "modularized" components such as video cards. Memory has always been upgradable but the rest of the components were integrated into the mobo.

So, I'd choose first a higher end Dell with at least a 3.0gig proc, 512mb ram, 80 gig, and from there you can choose the 'fluff' (screen size, optical drives, etc...)

Toshiba's suck and are super buggy, Vaio's are not very upgradable at all, and Fujistu is hit and miss becuase they use their own drives which also suck. Get a good case, and DO NOT put Windows ME, 98 or any of the like. Run Windows XP PROFESSIONAL! Home edition is super buggy and tends to argue with other XP versions on networks. Also, of the laptop's I mentioned they all come with integrated 802.11 wireless connectivity, which rocks.

HTH,

-utopify

wow, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
utopify, i pmed you...

wassup!!! Yeah, I'm very much into computers, but I have to admitt that I'd choose a desktop over a laptop anyday. I build desktops all the time, and have also been called many a night to my friends dorm rooms to fix their laptops. The problem with laptops is that when something goes wrong, you can't crack it open to see whats going on. Also, if you've had it for awhile, you can't crack it open to put in new parts. I know that its probably more convienient to have the portability of a laptop, but I'm just warning you that if something goes wrong, you almost always have to take it back to bestbuy or dell, or wherever you bought it from.