Computer requirements for medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search on this and there seems to be numerous scattered posts about computer requirements of different schools, but I was hoping we could compile a list. I'm trying to buy a computer now and won't be starting med school until next year hopefully, but don't want to have to buy a new computer next year. If possible, can everyone list the computer requirements if a school has one, and also list if there is a specific model they require or if they require a laptop/desktop. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

bump!

Anyone know of schools encouraging macs?

In theory this is a good idea but sadly the requirements change every year. my computer fulfilled reqs at one school - until they announced the new reqs last month and then it didn't even come close - thank goodness i'm not going there now!

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as encouraging macs i'm not aware of any that *encourage* their use per se, but the closest I think is Cornell where the computers in the PBL labs were macs...think different ;)

but sadly the requirements change every year

How about this question then- do most schools require you to have a certain type of computer? I'm just wondering if I should buy a computer now or wait until I find out what school I'm going to and what they require.

On April 29, 2003, the Executive Curriculum Committee of the Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health adopted a computer ownership policy for incoming medical students. The policy requires that all students own a Windows-based laptop computer with wireless capability, have access to a broadband internet at home, access to a printer at home, and Microsoft Office software.

Minimum requirements:
Windows-based laptop with wireless capability
Apple/Mac computers are not supported by Information Services and may not interact well with the standard software programs of the College.
512 RAM, Pentium 1.3 or 1.6 processor, 40 to 80 GB hard drive
Ethernet for access to broadband
Broadband internet access for the student?s home or apartment
Any type of HP printer that fits the student?s budget
This recommendation is based on durability and compatibility with most computers.
Software -- Windows XP, Internet Explorer (not Netscape), Microsoft Office 2000

....just a sample, from The Ohio State University, which is deploying some sort of digital curriculum which will have wireless in-class activities and such. I plan on getting a Mac, anyway. MacOS X is just too cool, and I can integrate it into any environment I need to without their support.

Most schools don't require a certain brand, just a cerain level of hard drive, memory, OS, connectivity etc. The San Diego requirements are on their web page so thats a fair guide. Then there are some schools that actually provide a computer (I believe Case does) but these are of course schools with high fees normally and there aren't many that do this.

Are there specific schools you are concerned about?