Computerized MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember reading awhile back that the MCAT was going to be computerized in the future. Does anyone know when that change is going to be implemented?

Members don't see this ad.

bbas said:
I remember reading awhile back that the MCAT was going to be computerized in the future. Does anyone know when that change is going to be implemented?

april 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that they will be cutting out the writing sample, and that you'll get your scores back right away like the DAT, and GRE?

Jrgooser said:
Is it true that they will be cutting out the writing sample, and that you'll get your scores back right away like the DAT, and GRE?
The writing sample still exists, but you'll be typing it in. Scores will be coming back in about 30 days as opposed to the current 60.

For those worried about taking it in April 07, keep in mind that everyone else is in the same boat that you are, taking the same test, with the same frustrations. Given how your score is produced, this should not affect your score significantly.

That said, I'm glad I'll be done with mine by this August.

Anyone know if the prep courses (e.g.: princeton review, kaplan, etc) will be ready in time to provide courses to simulate CBT?

I'm assuming the types of questions will be the same, we're just looking at a computer screen now.

relentless11 said:
Anyone know if the prep courses (e.g.: princeton review, kaplan, etc) will be ready in time to provide courses to simulate CBT?

I'm assuming the types of questions will be the same, we're just looking at a computer screen now.

I know Kaplan is completely rewriting the MCAT course right now in preparation for the switch. By the time people start studying for the computer test, it should be ready.

browniegirl86 said:
I know Kaplan is completely rewriting the MCAT course right now in preparation for the switch. By the time people start studying for the computer test, it should be ready.

I wonder if its worth it to wait a few testing cycles in case there are bugs to be worked out, and/or more information on the test from Princeton Rev/Kaplan. I remember when AAMC put up the online only version of the AMCAS application, there were lots of problems..haha...albeit different in nature, but like with everything new, and especially those that are electronic, its never 100% bug free.

Anyone have thoughts on that? Don't want to be the guinea pig;) even though the CBT has been tried at a few sites already.

THIS IS INCREDIBLE NEWS !!!

How often will the MCAT CBT be offered?

At this time we are planning to offer the MCAT 22 times a year, divided into several testing windows of two to five days each. These windows would most likely be in the winter, the late spring, the mid-summer, late summer, and early fall. During times of peak popularity the MCAT will also be offered twice a day — a morning session and an afternoon session.

anyone has a say on this? my question is...can you sign up more than one time for each window?

Is the switch officially in April '07? Because if it starts getting ofered 4 times a year (you know what I mean), then an '08 applicant could conceivably take the April MCAT and turn around and take the July/August MCAT, if the April scores weren't satisfactory. That is *way* awesome.

Rafa said:
Is the switch officially in April '07? Because if it starts getting ofered 4 times a year (you know what I mean), then an '08 applicant could conceivably take the April MCAT and turn around and take the July/August MCAT, if the April scores weren't satisfactory. That is *way* awesome.

This is slightly off topic, but do med schools take your highest MCAT score or do they average them together? Also, if you take it multiple times are you required to submit all of your scores, or just the highest one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rafa said:
You can do that now. April and August.

bbas said:
This is slightly off topic, but do med schools take your highest MCAT score or do they average them together? Also, if you take it multiple times are you required to submit all of your scores, or just the highest one?

1. Depends on the school.

2. You are required to submit all scores. If you don't, they will find out and it could kill your application. The only way to prevent a school from seeing your score for a particular MCAT administration is to void the test before you turn it in.

browniegirl86 said:
1. Depends on the school.

2. You are required to submit all scores. If you don't, they will find out and it could kill your application. The only way to prevent a school from seeing your score for a particular MCAT administration is to void the test before you turn it in.
But could they see that you voided the test?

bbas said:

I'm glad I didn't have to do it on computer. I am nervous about the steps

Will the CBT be Shorter or longer as the paper MCAT, will all the sections remain the same?

surgeon said:
Will the CBT be Shorter or longer as the paper MCAT, will all the sections remain the same?

It'll be a shorter test, and you can choose whether or not you'd like to take your breaks. The link browniegirl gave says it all.

Creightonite said:
Does it mean the test will be offered in Winter of 2007?

They say "early 2007," but I don't know how early "early" is. Someone above said beginning April.

MediMama23 said:
They say "early 2007," but I don't know how early "early" is. Someone above said beginning April.

Quoted from the link that Brownie posted above:

When will be my last chance to take a paper and pencil MCAT?
August 2006 will be the last paper and pencil offering of the MCAT.

kelli, the way I read Crieghtonite's post, is that s/he wanted to know if the CBT version of the MCAT would be offered in Winter 2007. I know the last paper and pencil is this August.

But Creightonite, please correct me if I'm wrong.

probably will be offered in winter of 2007... good that means i do not have to take it in August since I do not feel ready yet.