Computers for Med School

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by njshibby, Jul 26, 2006.

1. njshibby

njshibby Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm applying to med school right now I had been planning on waiting if/when i go to med school to buy a computer but the computer I have now had other plans and now won't turn on..so I was wondering if people had reccomendations on what type of computer to buy or if any med schools required particular types of computers (tablet, non-mac)? I think I'm leaning towards either a tablet with keyboard or one of those shiny macbooks. appreciate the help

2. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

Do a search, this topic has been covered several times lately. :thumbup:

3. amy2003uva

amy2003uva Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. amy2003uva

amy2003uva Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also, it's important I mention that macs are 100% compatible with the bluesocket/webct that we use at my school. Apple IT is wonderful here. Check to make sure it's the same where you are before you make a decision.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    I would hold off on buying a computer until you get the requirements from your medical school. Some medical schools furnish laptop computers during orientation (or you get the cost if you already have one). Another good source of info would be your second-year sib who could advise you. Other schools send out specs for computers with their orientation information.

njbmd :)

6. njshibby

njshibby Member
    10+ Year Member

thanks a lot for the info guys

7. BobLJ99

BobLJ99 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would seriously suggest not considering Dell. I have had my laptop for barely two years and the LCD screen stopped working. I spent $1500 on the computer and had to spend another $300 to get the LCD screen fixed (Dell wanted to charge me $500, but I was able to get them to reduce the price). I have been without my computer for two weeks and finally got it back today only to find out that it still is not working. The box that Dell shipped it back to me in looks like it was retrieved from a dumpster. DHL came to pick up the computer again and it is on its way back to Dell's repair center.

I have spent the last month dealing with this issue between trying to work out a deal with Dell that I could afford and finding out what is going on with my computer. Their customer support is completely inept and apathetic to customer problems. I even had to file a complaint about one particular rep that was very rude and inappropriate to me. Everything with Dell seems so esoteric and no one takes accountability for anything, they simply transfer the call. I will certainly go with an Apple computer before I start medical school.

8. Haversian Canal

Haversian Canal good day to save lives
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    get laptop

9. gotgame83

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Which ever you choose, if you get a biometric(fingerprint, retina etc) reader, be sure to read all the instructions on how to set it up because it really sucks when you lock yourself out of ur own computer at 3am. LOL juuuust a suggestion

10. evade

evade Our Lady of DNA
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with the other posters. . .check with your IT people.

That said, assuming it will be compatible with everything (and it likely will be), get a mac. Seriously. I did (got a 12" G4 iBook), and it's been nothing but wonderful. I've never needed the IT guys except to ask them if a mac would be compatible with everything my school used (obviously, it was). My friends with PCs make fairly regular visits to the IT people when their computers go on the fritz.

You won't need a lot of processing power in all likelihood (like the other post in this forum asking if a duo core processor is necessary. . .hah!), but you might want to consider getting a RAM upgrade; 1 gig at minimum. I've found that with anything less, my computer is painfully slow when I load up the 100 slide (all large images) powerpoint files that my profs create.

Bottom line? Get something reliable and reasonably priced. You'll be fine.