KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Status
anyone know how important it is to have a computer (either at home or a laptop) available during med school. If I don't have one will I be in trouble? I know in undergrad I had to write a lot of papers so it was necessary, but my guess is that won't be the case....any ideas? Thanks

Dr. AYY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Florida
Status
I think it depends on your school and how technologically advanced their curricullum is. I have lots of med student friends and they all have a laptop. If your school uses online notes and has supplementary material online then definetely get a laptop. Also, you are allowed to work in a computer expense to your loans that is not included in the max $38,500 you are allowed to take annually. So if you do decide to buy the computer and don't have the extra cash lying around I would suggest waiting until the beginning of school and buy it then so you have the latest one. Just save the reciept and give it to your financial aid directors to get the money added to your loan account.

P.S. I suggest staying away from Dell their customer service is horrible

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Dr. AYY said:
I think it depends on your school and how technologically advanced their curricullum is. I have lots of med student friends and they all have a laptop. If your school uses online notes and has supplementary material online then definetely get a laptop. Also, you are allowed to work in a computer expense to your loans that is not included in the max $38,500 you are allowed to take annually. So if you do decide to buy the computer and don't have the extra cash lying around I would suggest waiting until the beginning of school and buy it then so you have the latest one. Just save the reciept and give it to your financial aid directors to get the money added to your loan account.

P.S. I suggest staying away from Dell their customer service is horrible
Several schools administer their exams on computer as well. I would also add that some schools require you to buy a computer from them with all the necessary software installed, or at least they work out an advantageous deal with a manufacturer, so I wouldn't buy one till you know where you are going. There was another thread on this a few weeks ago you might want to look up.