Concept of Gauge Pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone explain/maybe provide some good links about this concept?

I understand that it is the pressure compared to the local atmospheric pressure, but it's a very fuzzy concept for me to get my head around.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

no links are necessary, it's pretty simple. it's not a comparison, it's an addition. it's what a gauge would measure. for example, if you have a tire at atmospheric pressure, a gauge measures it as 0; any measurement is a result of a pressure GREATER than the atmospheric pressure. thus:

gauge pressure + atmospheric pressure = total pressure exerted.

Could someone explain/maybe provide some good links about this concept?

I understand that it is the pressure compared to the local atmospheric pressure, but it's a very fuzzy concept for me to get my head around.

Thanks.

Let's say we have a piston and it is being affected by atmospheric pressure outside and gas pressure inside.
Now, pressure is force/area.
Let's forget for a moment about the area part and focus on the force part.
Atmospheric force is Fa, gas force is Fg, and Fg>Fa. The SUM TOTAL of all forces acting upon the piston is F=Fg-Fa.
The sum total of all forces, divided by the area upon which these forces act, is F/A. This is your GAUGE PRESSURE.

no links are necessary, it's pretty simple. it's not a comparison, it's an addition. it's what a gauge would measure. for example, if you have a tire at atmospheric pressure, a gauge measures it as 0; any measurement is a result of a pressure GREATER than the atmospheric pressure. thus:

gauge pressure + atmospheric pressure = total pressure exerted.

Perfect explanation. When they make a gauge, they set the zero mark to be equal to atmospheric pressure.