Concern about GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1045261

I am a junior at Cornell with a pretty low science GPA (~3.3).
I know that some schools have a cutoff and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me.
I am already planning to take a gap year, but I was hoping to use it getting clinical experience. Should I take science classes at another school instead?

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

This was exactly me during my junior year. Kill the MCATs. Fill up your senior year with upper-level 3000 & 4000 science courses and kill those too.
You can also take some science classes during the summer/winter at your local university.
Unless you plan on taking 2 gap years, senior year will be the last chance you have to improve your GPA.
On a side note: screw CHEM 3570

Thank you so much for the advice. I am definitely planning to take an extra science course as well as biochem, and depending how Zoom Orgo 2 goes, I could potentially boost my sGPA a little, but realistically, it won't be more than 3.35. Do you think this is going to hurt me severely? I don't know if it helps at all that Cornell is known for grade deflation

If you are taking a gap year, why not use your senior year for sGPA repair? I had a 3.34 sGPA at the end of junior year, and after a backbreaking 38 credits of upper-level science classes my last year, I finished with a 3.52 sGPA.

If you look at the stats posted by the HCEC, Cornell alumni seem to matriculate at a significantly higher percentage than the national mean, especially with GPAs 3.4-3.6. How much this is due to med schools giving more leeway to Cornell alumni GPA, I don't know. The pre-med advisors I spoke to here seemed to think schools might "add" 0.1-0.2 to your GPA, but take that with a grain of salt. Right now, GPA is definitely more important than clinical experience, unless you have <100 hours.

Edit: Also, pre-med classes at Cornell are deflated as hell, but a lot of the 3000-4000 level classes curve to a B/B+.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a junior at Cornell with a pretty low science GPA (~3.3).
I know that some schools have a cutoff and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me.
I am already planning to take a gap year, but I was hoping to use it getting clinical experience. Should I take science classes at another school instead?

Thanks so much
Any trends? Science GPA? What major? What ECs do you have?

It can be done! I got in 4 places with a 3.26. These days not a soul asks about my GPA.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Any trends? Science GPA? What major? What ECs do you have?

It can be done! I got in 4 places with a 3.26. These days not a soul asks about my GPA.

Med School Tutors

Thank you so much for your response!
There is definitely an upward trend, started freshman year off with around a 3.2 cGPA and now have around a 3.6. My sGPA is about 3.3. I am also a URM from Cornell (not sure if this helps either)

I've worked in an immunology lab for a year now, but sadly no publications.
I had an internship this summer that would help with clinical experience, but unfortunately, it was canceled. My back up plan is to volunteer in a free clinic near my university, although this depends on the pandemic situation.
I have some shadowing, but it's limited.
I ama health advocacy club, on a sports team and I am also a campus tour guide.

Thank you so much for your response!
There is definitely an upward trend, started freshman year off with around a 3.2 cGPA and now have around a 3.6. My sGPA is about 3.3. I am also a URM from Cornell (not sure if this helps either)

I've worked in an immunology lab for a year now, but sadly no publications.
I had an internship this summer that would help with clinical experience, but unfortunately, it was canceled. My back up plan is to volunteer in a free clinic near my university, although this depends on the pandemic situation.
I have some shadowing, but it's limited.
I ama health advocacy club, on a sports team and I am also a campus tour guide.

I see a resume with no major red flags and checking most of the standard boxes. Still work to be done, of course. Would one love a 4.0/4.0? Of course. But nothing about an sGPA of 3.3 tells me that you are some major risk of not being able to complete a medical school curriculum, especially if you have a nice upward trend. Would you be an underdog at crazy competitive schools? Perhaps. But there is room in this world for you, my friend. Crush the rest of your resume, and get that acceptance!

Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user