Concerned about chances of matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcjmz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you are going to be fine for the specialties you listed. If you are going for EM , you should reach out to the department and make sure you get the appropriate letters in considering those hold a lot of weight
upload_2018-10-11_9-47-20.png

Reactions: 1 users
I understand that given my lowish? step 1 score that certain fields like dermatology, orthopedic surgery, and probably radiology are out. I know that I need to improve on Step 2 CK.
Radiology is not out. The others, yes.
I will be OK for EM, Anesthesiology, IM?

Bro.... look at the charting outcomes in my sig.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just do IM, plenty of options down the road.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Should I try to focus on picking up some kind of research this year? I really am not interested in it and would like to focus on studying for the shelf exams and Step 2.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Should I try to focus on picking up some kind of research this year? I really am not interested in it and would like to focus on studying for the shelf exams and Step 2.

Don’t do research, spend the time studying, you will be fine.

Bruh you’ll be fine for IM, ER, Gas. I know a 4th year at my DO school who had 30-40%ile in COMLEX and Step, 3 preclinical failures, no research, was generally described as a miserable person to be around. And she matched university IM in the ACGMe match.

I'm in a very similar academic situation as you (also an M3/low 220's Step 1) and the only reason I'm doing research now is because I lined it up before Step 1 and it's low time commitment. I wouldn't delve into something now if I were you, unless it is very, very low time commitment. Dedicate everything you have to Step 2CK. Imagine what your app would look like if you had Step 1 225 and Step 2CK 265...you'd be golden. What little research you can squeeze in between now and application isn't worth the time away from studying. Just my opinion.

Also make sure to get as many P's & HP's in clerkships as you can. Best of luck