This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seadweller

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes, it is difficult and stressful, but I don't know about "multiple" suicide attempts
thousands of people across the US complete D1 and D2 every year, and eventually become dentists
perhaps you should talk to more people and get differing opinions...

Reactions: 2 users
You're over thinking this. Yes .... DS is more focused than undergrad, but not insurmountable. Just continue the same study habits that got you those acceptances and you'll do fine. Quite frankly ... the 1st 2 yrs are mostly didactic. The real fun comes when you start dealing with patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dental school is definitely tough, but idk about it being so difficult/stressful that it causes suicide/mental health issues. Just passing is really not that difficult (and no I’m not trying to flex on anyone). Dental schools don’t want you to fail and will help those struggling to get by. If you work hard and put effort in your classes, you’ll be fine for sure.

I have multiple friends that go to Maryland. They all have told me that D1 year is ridiculous compared to other schools. One of my friends started teeth grinding because of the stress, another who attempted suicide, and another who contemplated dropping out.

All dental schools are very stressful. However, some dental schools ease you into the curriculum while others have you running a marathon right away. I have some friends that go to Temple and they have told me that their D1 year wasn't bad at all.

Reactions: 1 user
I have multiple friends that go to Maryland. They all have told me that D1 year is ridiculous compared to other schools. One of my friends started teeth grinding because of the stress, another who attempted suicide, and another who contemplated dropping out.

All dental schools are very stressful. However, some dental schools ease you into the curriculum while others have you running a marathon right away. I have some friends that go to Temple and they have told me that their D1 year wasn't bad at all.

And how did they compare? Class schedule? That can only tell so much. Plus students in all dental schools basically take the same amount of credits. By exams? That’s subjective. Depends on the professors, the students’ study habits, etc etc.

If you think dental school is stressful, wait until you start working

Reactions: 2 users