Concerned about new curriculum at my school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has just revamped its curriculum and it has me a bit worried. The first year looks very tame compared to other schools- anatomy, histology, biochem, physiology, behavioral science, and genetics. They've moved Neuroanatomy to second year, where we also get Path, Pharm, Micro, Immunology, and Psych, as well as physical diagnosis. It sounds like an incredibly stressful second year, but a relatively easy first year, especially since I've already taken undergrad or graduate versions of all of the first-year classes. But that second year sounds like an awful lot of material to cram into 10 months, especially with Step 1 coming up right afterward. And since it's a brand-new change, my class gets to be the guinea pigs.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might make my second year easier? Since I think first year will be relatively low-stress, would it help to pre-learn some relevant pathology while studying the appropriate organ system in anatomy or physiology? Maybe read the relevant chapter in Robbins while dissecting the heart and learning cardiovascular physiology, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Which med school is this new curriculum incorporated? Just wonderin' .....

Hi kd

Check out University of Miami's School of Medicine. The incoming class starting this august is mirgrating to a PBL system. It's a little funky to me. But they have every detail about the curriculum online. This is the web site:
www.med.miami.edu

AJC :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Popoy- I'm going to East Tennessee State.
Originally posted by Popoy:
•Which med school is this new curriculum incorporated? Just wonderin' .....•
Acaban- I checked out their web site, but can't find the curruculum details page- do you have the direct link? Thanks.

Hey kd

This is the link I found. They really go in depth about their new curriculum; to the point where they tell you what quizes they will be giving on what day and covering which topics. Let me know if you find it ok. The link is:
http://www.mededu.miami.edu/MedEd/new_curriculum

Good Luck! AJC :D

Suny Buffalo changed their curric this year, too. i was surprised to see that the 1st two years mon classes go until 3 pm then tue-thurs we're done at noon. i think it's great because i have a family and want to study/learn more from home. i don't think you have to be in class 8 hours/day to learn!