Concerned for my future: Possibly being held back a year due to my academic mistakes.

Leftpaw

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2019
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello!

Alas, I'm in dire straits at this point. My lecture courses and other labs are fine, but there is a pretty reasonable chance that I might fail Clinic I. I had a chat with the dean of the school and she doesn't offer summer courses / makeup tests if that happens. Therefore, failing the course would put me behind a year since it will take out some other classes as well - Optometry II mainly and maybe some more.

Alas, I freaked out on the first practical and did very poorly on it. I got a tutor for the second round, but I still made some errors that could cost me in the long run (I need a decently high score to just pass the class). I haven't gotten my results back for the examination yet, but I'm damned if I don't make the high cut - something that is reasonably possible after I ran some calculations over my grade (missed a section on a slit lamp, which is definitely going to cost me).

So I have some questions for this debacle:

-How is this going to affect my chances at residency, especially since that is a competitive area in its own right? If it does severely affect it, how could I get back up to decent standing to potentially get a residency at the end?

-How would this affect my standing as an optometrist overall? I'm sure this looks pretty poor on record, which means other optometrists are going to eyeball this failure for the future.

I'm just disappointed in myself overall since it was nerves that damned me on the first test. I can probably do better next time (especially if I arm myself with a tutor from the get-go), but being behind my classmates is...well...embarrassing. I take responsibility for this though - this was ultimately my fault overall.

LUC78

5+ Year Member
    Apr 30, 2016
    1. Pre-Optometry
      I dont have answers to your question specifically. But this has happened to many people in my class. It seems like it happens to atleast 10 students on average at my school every year. Im also a year behind for different reasons and honestly it sucks at first, but it will pass. Just make sure you kill it the second time around!

Reactions: 1 user

Leftpaw

2+ Year Member
      Jun 6, 2019
      1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
        I dont have answers to your question specifically. But this has happened to many people in my class. It seems like it happens to atleast 10 students on average at my school every year. Im also a year behind for different reasons and honestly it sucks at first, but it will pass. Just make sure you kill it the second time around!
        Okay. I'm working to make sure that this is my only flaw, if it comes to that.

If nothing else, maybe a bright side is that I get better at clinical technique by doing it again.

I kinda got chewed out by the professor / dean of the school because...well...my weaker classes are optometry classes. I'm working on improving on them though.

I also have to tell my folks that I might be behind my class as well. It will sting, but I hope to have this be my only setback. I'm not young anymore after all (mid to late 20s).

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.