concerned - question re appropriate care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyTiger

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question that I hope isn’t inappropriate – I’m a psychiatric epi researcher (doctoral-level) but my Q is more from a patient perspective re standard of care in assessment. I started seeing a therapist a few weeks ago (have had 3 sessions). I had a good vibe from him, he is an LCSW with several years additional training at a nearby psychoanalytic institute with a good reputation, and has been in private practice for ~5 yrs. Although so far I’ve spoken with him re my presenting complaint, past issues likely related to this problem, and some other current things in my life, I only just realized he’s never really done any sort of “intake” – whether through direct questions or a form. He’s never asked me specifically about things like substance abuse, criminal hx, psychiatric tx hx, or suicidality for instance. It gives me the feeling that for all these areas, and probably others, I’d have to bring them up myself if I felt they were of concern, which I think adds a strange sort of burden on me to be mindful of what may or may not be important. It seems odd to me, but I’m not super knowledgeable about the actual format of therapy or what is standard of care. I do plan to bring up my concerns at the next session but in the mean time, I wonder if anyone has an opinion re whether this is some kind of red flag. Should I think about looking elsewhere?

Thanks for any insight

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.