baya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2004
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
How low would a program's cataract surgery numbers need to be before you would decide to not rank it as a result?

I don't have a ton of interviews, but that's irrelevant -- the question when you're deciding whether or not to rank a program, is always "Would I rather go here or not match?"

So at what low point of cataract surgery numbers would you say "eh, I'd rather try again next year than finish ophtho residency with so few cataract surgeries"?

Last year's graduating residents of the program in question did not meet the ACGME requirement (which I think is 86).

MAYOphtho

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
How low would a program's cataract surgery numbers need to be before you would decide to not rank it as a result?

I don't have a ton of interviews, but that's irrelevant -- the question when you're deciding whether or not to rank a program, is always "Would I rather go here or not match?"

So at what low point of cataract surgery numbers would you say "eh, I'd rather try again next year than finish ophtho residency with so few cataract surgeries"?

Last year's graduating residents of the program in question did not meet the ACGME requirement (which I think is 86).
I think you answered your own question above...would you rather go there or not match? If you would rather go there than not match, then that just means rank it last...if you end up there that means you wouldnt have matched without ranking that program. Again, the decision is all yours. GOOD LUCK!

rubensan

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think you answered your own question above...would you rather go there or not match? If you would rather go there than not match, then that just means rank it last...if you end up there that means you wouldnt have matched without ranking that program. Again, the decision is all yours. GOOD LUCK!
ACGME requirements are there for a reason, right?

Wolverine98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2006
West Bloomfield, MI
Status
Attending Physician
ACGME requirements are there for a reason, right?
True, but I think you also have to take into account the recent change. In years past, they would increase the minimum by one or two a year, then, last year, they jumped from the mid 40s to 86. Programs that were below that before, with little warning, had to find a way to make that jump, in some cases having to double their numbers. Realistically, you'd expect that to take at least a year or two to restructure things in a way to make up that lost ground. If you're interviewing now, they have a few years to really straighten it out before you get there.
Thankfully, our program (like your's) doesn't have to deal with this. But imagine what Doheny would do if they were told that the current first years would have to all get 190 cataracts each. It's tough to make that ground up.

I agree with MAYOphtho, if you would rather go there than not match, then rank them.

BTS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2007
Status
Remember that they picked these numbers to set at the 20th percentile - which means by definition that 20% of residents were below this number. They also imposed this number in the middle of an academic year (December 2006 or January 2007, I can't remember which), which may have somthing to do with lower numbers (though this wouldn't necessarily apply for 2008 graduates, it can be difficult to make changes to a program quickly).

The flip side, though, is that the median number of cataracts done by residents is about 130.

I think the important question to ask is "do they have a plan to increase resident surgical numbers?" I'd be a little nervous if all of the residents didn't reach 86 (which is a pretty reachable number) and there was no real plan to increase surgical volume.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I'd DEFINITELY rank the program! If you don't match this year you might not match next year either. Do you want to spend the rest of your life as an FP doctor wondering what if you had ranked that program?

And besides, once you're into an optho residency you can always do a fellowship afterward if you feel you need more training. Whereas if you're unmatched you'll be putzing around doing research and whatnot.