Concerned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nearlythere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a little concerned about something. There is a program that I would really like to get into, but the program director didn't even interview me. I think that some other applicants were also not interviewed by him, but I can't be sure. I had 3 other faculty members interview me and one of these interviewees told me that "I was the type of doctor they would like to see at their program". I've been going on that, but suddenly realized that I may be totally misled, as I didn't even interview with the main person to make that decision.
If a program director doesn't interview you, does it mean that you are most likely a lower down choice? Can anyone please give me an informed opinion? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If this happens again, you can ask on the interview day if you could have a few moments to speak with the PD. Not a formal interview, but a chance to get your face in front of him or her.

I'd be concerned, but not about whether or not you spoke with the PD...

You seem to be missing a basic part of how the process works. The PD does not make the decision independently.

I'm concerned.

I interviewed at a program (in my top3).

I didnt get to meet with the PD at all. But it gets worse.

Each applicant only had one interviewer (unusual in itself I think, but thats how it was).

My interviewer was a research faculty member. He didnt ask me much at all, and was very difficult to engage in conversation. I would respond to him, and he wouldn't respond back - just stare at my application. Two or three times he said "talk about whatever you want". One of those times, I talked about my research, thinking it might get a response out of him... Nothing. Near the end of the interview he asked me the obligatory "Do you have any questions for me?" Well I sure did. Problem was, his answer to all of my questions was "I dont know about that, I haven't been involved in the clinical side for a while now" :scared:

Im more concerned with what they think of me, than the other way around. I plan to schedule a second look with the program anyway, to decide where in my top 3 they are going.

Is there anything I can do to make up for the inadequate interview day? Should I try and talk to the PD? Will it even help?

HJ...

this program is STILL in your TOP 3 after that?

Man, if it were me, I'd be a bit peeved about that interview experience. I would call or email the PD with your questions and politely say, "Dr. Research Dude told me that he hasn't had any clinical work in awhile and couldn't answer my questions, suggested I contact you."

HJ...

this program is STILL in your TOP 3 after that?

Man, if it were me, I'd be a bit peeved about that interview experience. I would call or email the PD with your questions and politely say, "Dr. Research Dude told me that he hasn't had any clinical work in awhile and couldn't answer my questions, suggested I contact you."

Thanks, I'll do that. If they get back to me with a second-look day scheduled for the immediate future, I think I'll wait to talk to the PD in person.

But yeah, even after that they're in my top3. Seems like they're large enough (housestaff-wise) to be impersonal at the interview, but at the same time able to fit all the residents wherever they want to be (ICU, consecutive research months, 3 different Cardio electives) without slowing down the day-to-day works.

I have a similar situation.

I interviewed for a rads program that interviewed 4 days , 25 applicants each day, and the PD only met 4 of the applicants. I interviewed with an attending and a resident . All applicants met with one attending and one resident. I didn't have any face time with the PD and this is my number one choice. The interviews went well and the interviewers seemed to have given me positive feedback during the interview. I wrote all three individuals letters stating they were my number one and that I was coming back for a second look to get to convey my interest better. Was that an ok/ good idea?