Concerning CARS score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnybelle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

International applicant here. I just got my retake score back 517 (95th percentile): 131/126 (72nd percentile)/130/130. I took it the first time August 2016 and got 513 (89th percentile): 130/123 (36th percentile)/130/130. I am a little disappointed by my CARS score this time, since I was scoring an average of 128 on aamc FLs. I guess I am looking for some insight on how this 126 would impact my application this cycle. (Any International applicant/ successful matriculant here?) I also just looked on MSAR and lots of schools have their 10th percentile CARS score as 127. Would I have a chance at those schools at all or should I just not bother applying... Do I need to compensate for this by devoting my life this year to volunteering and clinical experience? Mostly obsessing over this because of my international status...Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to worry about this. I think you will do great, good luck on your app cycle!

Hey all,

International applicant here. I just got my retake score back 517 (95th percentile): 131/126 (72nd percentile)/130/130. I took it the first time August 2016 and got 513 (89th percentile): 130/123 (36th percentile)/130/130. I am a little disappointed by my CARS score this time, since I was scoring an average of 128 on aamc FLs. I guess I am looking for some insight on how this 126 would impact my application this cycle. (Any International applicant/ successful matriculant here?) I also just looked on MSAR and lots of schools have their 10th percentile CARS score as 127. Would I have a chance at those schools at all or should I just not bother applying... Do I need to compensate for this by devoting my life this year to volunteering and clinical experience? Mostly obsessing over this because of my international status...Any advice would be appreciated!

Just out of curiosity, do you have a green card or are you a US citizen? The last time i checked, most US medical schools do not accept international students, though more accept Canadians.

I think your score is fine. Good Luck!

Thank you y'all for the reassurance. I wouldn't have posted if my score was more balanced...or if I was a US citizen or had a green card. And to answer that question regarding international applicants, yes there are i think a total of 59 schools that say they accept international students (non-canadians). However, not all of them have a decent number of matriculants in the past couple of years.

Last edited: