1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Concerns about CCOM

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by A-MAC, Jan 30, 2000.

1. A-MAC

A-MAC Member
    10+ Year Member

I have been accepted to CCOM for the fall and I am planning on attending there. I was very impressed with CCOM when I went for the interview and have been very impressed by all that I have read about it. I was very excited when I got my acceptance there. However, some comments that I have read on this board in the everyone section as well as an experience of an applicatn who interviewed with me concern me. In the everyone section, a CCOM student posted a comment about how much he/she disliked the school and thought it was not worth the money. This comment concerned me as well as the experience of a fellow applicatn. When a fellow applicant was accepted to the school, she wanted to get another tour of the school so that she could make a more informed decision about which school to go to. On the tour of CCOM on interview day they did not show us the anatomy labs or any other labs, and this other applicant wanted to see these facilities to make sure they were as good as other schools she had already been accepted to. The addmissions office told her that the only way she could get a tour was if she came back and did a tour with another group of students who were interviewing and the tour would be the same one she already recieved, and that prospective students are not allowed to see laboratory facilities. This makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the facilities or something the school is trying to hide.

There are so many great aspects of the school, that I am still very excited about attending there this fall but these recent comments do concern me. I would apprectiate any comments from current CCOM students about how well they like the school, if they think they are getting a good education, how stable the affiliations for current rotations are, and how the facilities are.

Thank You

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CAT

CAT Member
    10+ Year Member

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance to CCOM!

While I understand your concerns and know that it is easy to be swayed by postings on this board, please don't let the comments of one disgruntled student influence your decision too much. I am not a CCOM student myself but I know some and they are very happy with their choice of medical school. To have your questions about rotations answered perhpas you could contact the school or perhaps contact those who interviewed you for more information. Maybe some CCOM students on this board will be able to help you out.

As for tours of laboratories, that sometimes becomes tricky. Several med schools (CCOM probably included) have a policy that forbids visitors coming into the gross anatomy lab. There are lots of concerns here, liability being one. As for touring research labs, again there are many concerns. I've worked in a lab for several years and we never allow any visitors to enter our lab. If biohazards or radioactive materials are being used then visitors are not allowed to enter. This "rule" is often broken but the liability issues for students on campus tours are huge. Also, laboratory animals may be used in research and there are lots of concerns in letting visitors observe procedures that may be upsetting to some.

Congrats again A-MAC. Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by CAT (edited 06-16-2000).]

4. doatc

doatc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

A-MAC,

Anytime you want a tour, drop me a line and I will give you one personally. Concerning the lab issue, the anatomy department does not allow anyone outside of the department or not in an active anatomy class access to the lab. It is for both liability purposes and out of respect to the people who donate their bodies to us. If yu really want to see the lab, then come to the school in April and the cadavers will be removed by then before the new ones come in for the summer quarter. I am sure while on your tour they showed you the MDL's. These are the labs used by many of the schools. You will have Micro lab, Physio workshop, Biochem workshop, and most of your exams in these rooms. The research labs are small and typically have only 1-2 techs working per lab. The only way you would have access to these labs would be through research electives with one of the departments. We also have a large animal research lab in the basement of our Bio Sciences Bldg. The only way to get access to the basement is to take an animal surgery elective or get involved in research.
    Don't be discouraged by what people may say. You are doing the right thing by asking questions. There are only a few CCOM students on this site that respond to posts and typically they are positive.

5. A-MAC

A-MAC Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank You for your replies. I am glad to hear that the tour issue is just a matter of policy, and not that the school is trying to hide anything. I was happy with the tour I received, I was just concerned by these comments by others. I also realize that not everyone at a school is going to be happy with the school. I am just trying to figure out where I will be happiest next year, for right now it looks like it will be CCOM. I am very excited about starting next year, I wish the school year would start sooner.

What do CCOM students think about the on campus housing, I am thinking this might be a good option for me for the first year. I am from California and I am a little nervous about having to drive to far in the winter in Chicago, so I am thinking it will be easier to be on campus for my first year until I get used to the snow.

6. bosko

bosko New Member

A-MAC,
    I am currently a first-year student at CCOM and the best advice I can give you about the on campus housing is try to get your housing application in as soon as possible and request a room in the LLC first. The LLC is air-conditioned and the rooms are much more sound-proof than the rooms in the traditional residence halls. If you want to live off campus, try not to be too intimidated by Chicago weather. Most of our class lives off campus but it is convienent being close to the library and gym and stuff like that. Other than that, just to add something about our anatomy lab, it is basically cadavers lying on tables covered by a damp sheet and rubber blanket. I have heard of some colleges having huge humidors and state-of-the-art facilities but we just wet our cadavers and cover them well at the end of the day and they stay preserved perfectly well. Our anatomy faculty is excellent. I cannot say enough about them. Well if you have any more questions, let me know and I hope to see you here next year.

7. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi a-mac,

i am an MSII at ccom also. Email me if you have questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Johan Aasbo

8. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi a-mac,

i am an MSII at ccom also. Email me if you have questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Johan Aasbo