esob

Protomolecule
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
I see people often speak of school X as a "new school" in a pejorative manner. I'm curious as to what are the legitimate concerns for a student considering attending a new medical school, say one that has only been open for a year or two? Does the parent institution play a major role? In particular, two new schools will be open in Tx by the time I apply, TCU and UIW, and I'm wondering if there is a significant downside to applying to either.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I see people often speak of school X as a "new school" in a pejorative manner. I'm curious as to what are the legitimate concerns for a student considering attending a new medical school, say one that has only been open for a year or two? Does the parent institution play a major role? In particular, two new schools will be open in Tx by the time I apply, TCU and UIW, and I'm wondering if there is a significant downside to applying to either.
It takes Faculty awhile to figure out how to deliver content.
New grads are an unknown to PDs.
Adequate resources may not be in place (this is different from minimum required resources).

New schools are ideal for people with a pioneering spirit, who want to help build something. Also best for good self-learners and self-starters.

Reactions: esob

DrivebyTrucker

2+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I worry about this as well. I think that at this point, I'm so focused on getting into medical school (any medical school) that I would take an offer from a new school rather than wait a year and reapply to more established schools. But then when you think about the next step (residency), if a residency program doesn't have any experience with that school (it's totally new) they may look at those graduates as being pretty risky. No idea what kind of clinical training they are getting or what kind of curriculum or faculty they have.

About the Ads

Med Ed

2+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
I worry about this as well. I think that at this point, I'm so focused on getting into medical school (any medical school) that I would take an offer from a new school rather than wait a year and reapply to more established schools. But then when you think about the next step (residency), if a residency program doesn't have any experience with that school (it's totally new) they may look at those graduates as being pretty risky. No idea what kind of clinical training they are getting or what kind of curriculum or faculty they have.
FSU opened the modern era of school expansion in 2001. Since then the graduates of every new school have done perfectly fine in the match.

About the Ads