Concordia U in WI or Albany College in VT (PharmD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarmD33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need help in deciding between the two schools for my Doctor of Pharmacy.

Love Vermont, familiar with the area. But super EXPENSIVE to live there. I love downtown Burlington, and all my friends live in New England. My boyfriend and I vacationed there once and fell completely in love.

Not sure about Wisconsin. Didn't have time to explore city life when I was visiting, but the campus is beautiful with Lake Michigan literally right next to it. All I know is that tuition is cheaper by 5000 dollars and the cost of living there is EXTREMELY lower than Vermont.

Also, if I choose Wisconsin, I will not have to take any prerequisites. But if I go to Vermont I will have to take prerequisites until end of June. And part of me really just wants to relax before 4 years of hell.

Both schools are fully accredited and 4 years. ACPHS is ranked higher than Concordia.

I know the decision is up to me in the end, but I just need another person's perspective. There are logical reasons to pick either school.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know too much about Concordia in WI but I used to live in WI. Cost living isn't bad in WI and there are things to do during the summer. People like to go to Summerfest in Milwaukee near the lake front and the State Fair during August too. It also depends what you want to base your decision off of. Location, cost of living and school, entertainment, ranking, etc. In my opinion, I don't think ranking matters too much because you can be successful wherever you go as long as you put in work. I'd base the decision off of how I felt during my interview if I were you. You should probably choose a place where you can get decent rotations in because you might end up living there.

FarmD33,
I too know little to nothing about Concordia (its probably because I am not interested in any schools in that region). I attend college in central Vermont and I absolutely love it. Additionally, I interviewed and was accepted at ACPHS (NY campus) and I absolutely love how the curriculum is structured. When speaking to students during the interview day, they mentioned that it does not matter what the ranking is of the school. Rather, you ought to choose the PharmD program that will cater to your needs and aspirations. I am a little biased towards ACPHS because it is my first choice, but the school has phenomenal faculty. I don't know if you are interested in competing for a residency after your four years of pharmacy school (three at ACPHS-VT), but having faculty that has specialized in the oncology, cardiology, Rheumatology, etc. will help.