Enjoy Life

7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi All,
I sustained a concussion this weekend. I took the week off from my rotation but still feeling very concussed. I am currently on a very demanding rotation. Thoughts on taking a current rotation off? Any thoughts on the effects that it might have for 4th year/match.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Hi All,
I sustained a concussion this weekend. I took the week off from my rotation but still feeling very concussed. I am currently on a very demanding rotation. Thoughts on taking a current rotation off? Any thoughts on the effects that it might have for 4th year/match.
This is highly dependent upon your school and their policies. Hopefully someone can swing by with experience in taking time off, but it is largely going to be school-dependent.

Reactions: Crayola227
OP
E

Enjoy Life

7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
They are allowing me 2-4 weeks off for recovery. I am just worried about the effects it will have for the match and 4th year. Thank you for the reply.

Jun 22, 2015
I would make sure your residents know and take the time you need. If your review say "Enjoy Life was clearly lazy because he didn't show up for two weeks" then I bet you'd probably be able to dispute that and have it removed from any future deans letter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

tick_tock400

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hi, I'll message the OP separately, but from someone who's been there-- if OP is still having problems that warrant him getting 2-4 weeks off already and if he's still having issues a few day post-concussion, OP might easily have lots more issues in the upcoming month(s) because his concussion clearly isn't that "mild". I've had bad head trauma where I've regained a lot of my core functions and can perform tasks to an extent, but recovery can take a very long time in general, and symptoms can come and go throughout the first few weeks a bunch, and honestly, for a hard core environment like medical school, it's best to take time off.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I had to go on a leave of absence and skip rotations for mental health reasons and to remediate failed exams. It was a tough situation, but the administration was very understanding with giving me the time I needed to get better. Several of my classmates took rotations off for various reasons too. If it's affecting your ability to function, I think you should take a rotation off, get yourself together, then come back ready to give it your all again. I'm a big proponent of getting your health together and then coming back. Also, I say this from experience, forcing yourself to sacrifice your health hurts both you and your overall performance.
See what your options are with your administration. And whatever you do, just make sure to take good care of yourself. Even though you're in med school, life still happens. Most people should be fairly understanding of that.

Last edited:

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
if you can have the time off, not have to extend your program, and can make it up without affecting 4th year subIs for ERAS, it's fine for residencies to have this medical LOA, but it would be good to explain as concussion so they don't assume mental health which has a lot of stigma in medicine

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Zeppelin I don't know why you're posting private information about someone who is very identifiable from that post.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
In response to @Psai 's point, @zeppelinpage4 , let me show you how I would have written that part of your post to protect anonymity:
the maybe you can delete what you wrote

"I heard of someone who had an injury early on in school but kept pushing on but it was getting too difficult. Since they were in a combined program, admin them take a break and start the time in the other part of the combined program earlier. They are doing much better now. So you're def not alone."

Give the idea of perhaps taking time off to do something else without it hurting career, which was the point of your post, right?

Reactions: zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
In response to @Psai 's point, @zeppelinpage4 , let me show you how I would have written that part of your post to protect anonymity:
the maybe you can delete what you wrote

"I heard of someone who had an injury early on in school but kept pushing on but it was getting too difficult. Since they were in a combined program, admin them take a break and start the time in the other part of the combined program earlier. They are doing much better now. So you're def not alone."

Give the idea of perhaps taking time off to do something else without it hurting career, which was the point of your post, right?
Thanks, I decided to just delete that part to be safe.
And yeah that was pretty much the point. :) Didn't mean to put anyone's anonymity at risk.

Last edited: