Conditional Passing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scarletblack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know.

I'm still in the process of getting my final Anatomy grade and I'm on the borderline of passing and conditional passing. How does a CP affect your residency chances and what can you do to fix it??

Just an FYI, I had a lot of things hit me this class (family therapy, had to go see a psychologist for some depression issues, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

It's school-specific. At my school, even if you outright fail a class, you can remediate and have your grade converted to pass. The pass will be the only grade on your transcript, so no one outside the school would know about it. By contrast, one of my friends failed anatomy and actually got expelled from med school. Very school-specific.

It's school-specific. At my school, even if you outright fail a class, you can remediate and have your grade converted to pass. The pass will be the only grade on your transcript, so no one outside the school would know about it. By contrast, one of my friends failed anatomy and actually got expelled from med school. Very school-specific.

I have trouble believing it was solely his/her anatomy grade that got them kicked out. I don't think a single school would NOT give you the option to repeat the class or the year if you failed multiple.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have trouble believing it was solely his/her anatomy grade that got them kicked out. I don't think a single school would NOT give you the option to repeat the class or the year if you failed multiple.
And yet that's what happened.

agreed. every experience I have heard of you have to royally screw up your grades. I suspect there is something your friend isnt telling you. Zero tolerance things at my school are mostly conduct based, but a failed class is either repeated another year or sometimes there is the option to take it with the PA's in the summer between years. I know a guy who was dismissed after failing multiple classes and he is back in after appealing a few times. the school is very interested in passing the students it accepts. looks bad and costs money to fail your students

Conventional Wisdom is that preclinical remediation is better than remediating anything clinical. Obviously you want to impress on the rotation for your desired specialty.

If you have to go in front of your promotions committee you could always ask them what the ramifications are for your transcript. Some schools will out you, other wont. As with most things preclinical CW is again that a high Step I score is the wonder drug.

In Dr. Love's defense, some schools a few decades ago had an ~80% pass rate for the first year. That is, they intentionally only passed a given % of the class and failed the bottom % out. Maybe this school was like that... but from what i am aware of this system is mostly gone and all selection and weeding out is done at the forefront. The only things ive heard of to get a med student kicked straight out is legal issues - typically alcohol involved. just in general there is a much greater chance that the person in question got a DUI or public intox and didnt report it to the school. A school finding out about a criminal charge on their own without the student disclosing it is about the only zero-tolerance policy i have heard about between schools.

Dr. Love, what school did your friend go to? I would bet their handbook is online