Conduct Violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naz0004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Were you ever the recipient of any institutional action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, blah blah blah..

Yes, I was. I made fake dorm IDs as an RA and I was caught and fired and put on discplinary probation for 12 monthes. But damn I really can't bring myself to say it on the AMCAS application, even they specifically have another page that says YOU MUST INDICATE YES IF IT EVER HAPPENED BECAUSE IF YOU LIE WE WILL INVESTIGATE. I've already put NO on both AMCAS and TMDSAS. I really don't want to say yes, but I'm scared of lying and backfiring. Does anyone know how they check these things?? Any recommendations on what I should do? Please help.. I hate this so much

Members don't see this ad.

Were you ever the recipient of any institutional action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, blah blah blah..

Yes, I was. I made fake dorm IDs as an RA and I was caught and fired and put on discplinary probation for 12 monthes. But damn I really can't bring myself to say it on the AMCAS application, even they specifically have another page that says YOU MUST INDICATE YES IF IT EVER HAPPENED BECAUSE IF YOU LIE WE WILL INVESTIGATE. I've already put NO on both AMCAS and TMDSAS. I really don't want to say yes, but I'm scared of lying and backfiring. Does anyone know how they check these things?? Any recommendations on what I should do? Please help.. I hate this so much

Yeah, I have a recommendation: be honest. They will check, and they will find out. Then not only will you have to explain why you were the recipient of an institutional action, but why you lied about it, IF they even accept you for an interview. I don't know how it works, but I feel like if they find out you lied about something, they're going to reject you right there. Who wants a dishonest doctor? Not me.

Be honest. Something like this doesn't seem like it'll stay buried very long. Fess up to what you did and explain what you learned from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
this sounds very trollish! hmmmm

Learn integrity and honesty now, it'll help you out when you're a doctor.

It is difficult, but don't lie. The fact is that if your stats are good enough, you'll get a chance to explain this during the interview.

If you lie and were caught, which is more than likely, you will probably be black-listed by the particular school.

All in all I don't think disciplinary actions kill your chances. I actually know someone who plagerized in college, was caught and was failed in the class, who ended up in a decent medical school.

Agree with the others -- you will often be okay if you show you learned from your mistakes, but will be pretty doomed if you compound your mistakes and lie about them. Assume that med schools have the ability to check these things -- the way you've described it, it's something they can. Too many people take remote minor things and make them huge major current ones by lying. That shows you learned nothing, and are just as much trouble as the day you were caught. You would prefer to be selling yourself as a new improved person, not that old foolish one.

You have a BIG problem. I suppose you must confess because there is always that off chance that they might investigate and catch you in a lie (which would pretty much torch any hope of an acceptance). However, admitting to a conduct violation is also a huge red flag. Each medical school in the country has thousands upon thousands of applicants with dynamite stats, endless lists of ECs, and spotless "conduct" records. I don't know how you stack up in other areas, but having something like this on your record is really damaging. Think about it, if you were a medical school with enough qualified applicants to fill your class 40 times over, would you choose the guy who used his position of power and leadership to sell fake IDs to his classmates? This kind of history will make them question whether you are truly an ethical person. As a doctor, you will be responsible for human lives. It is not a time for screwing around...

Out of mere curiosity, is it on record at all?

If you lie, and get expelled after sinking thousands and thousands of dollars into your tuition, I'm not going to feel sorry for you in the least. Come clean right from the start.

While I wouldnt go as far as Prowler in saying that you will be expelled for it they (being the adcoms) will more than likely catch you and from there probably blacklist you for continuing to lie. Its not hard for an adcom to call up your undergrad and find out if you have a conduct record. While fake id's is a very serious offense and will hurt you in the application process it will only make you stronger to tell the truth and keep it off your conscience. Its good to be honest when applying for something as serious as medical school

Also, I am speaking from experience. I have a mark on my record for shooting waterguns around campus which I made sure to put on my AMCAS simply b/c I wanted to show that I am honest and not trying to hide anything. Fake Id's and waterguns are on a different level but everything should be reported as if they are big brother and watching you every second of the day (which they are).

If that's on you're academic record, which it sounds like it is, you're definitely better off coming off with the truth than lying about it-- if you lie about it and they find out you're blacklisted. That's even grounds for getting kicked out of med school. Fake id's is a pretty serious thing; this is not something I would fool around with.

Have a good story prepared, too. It's one thing to have to explain a conduct violation of getting caught with beer in the dorms.

Your situation is going to be tougher. I personally don't have a strong feeling about it, but colleges may see it this way: you were given a position of power and you turned around and broke the law in order to enable students you had responsibility for to break the law too.

Again, I'm not bagging you. I'm just saying view it the way they might when you prepare a rebuttal.