confidentiality in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

not respect

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote about work in a crisis hotline in my PS. There are confidentiality rules like HIPAA, and I found out the first name of one of the callers I had from the caller ID. Can I use that, or should I change it/abbreviate to a letter? And should I mention that I changed it for confidentiality reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I've used names in all my essays. I feel like it makes the essay more personal. However, I have always changed the names of the people in my essays. They are not their real names, ever.

I have not ever written the disclaimer that I changed their names for confidentiality reasons though. I always change names to something well known like Sue, Mary, John, Joe etc. and never add last names

To be honest, I've used names in all my essays. I feel like it makes the essay more personal. However, I have always changed the names of the people in my essays. They are not their real names, ever.

I have not ever written the disclaimer that I changed their names for confidentiality reasons though. I always change names to something well known like Sue, Mary, John, Joe etc. and never last names

this.

although, i ended up needing to find any way to save characters. so i called the people in my PS by their initials. "R," "Dr. G," etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never use real names. If you need to refer to specific people, use their initials.

So, it's okay if I say something like "I'll never forget how Dr. M....(etc)? Is this common? Are ADCOMS used to reading stuff like that?

Okay, thanks :)

Unless you are saying something unflattering about the doc, it isn't necessary to use an initial or pseudonym for the doctor's name, except that it saves space.

For patients, use an initial or a short name with (pseudonym) after the first time you use it.