Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Confirming that schools know of multiple acceptances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. Kermit, May 7, 2002.

1. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member

Here is the opening of an e-mail I received from Temple today. (I have already withdrawn.)

Congratulations on having been accepted to Temple University School of
    Medicine and, according to AMCAS, at least one other medical school.
    We certainly hope that you will select Temple for your medical education
    and look forward to you joining us in August.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. L

Dr. L Senior Member

Schools know exactly where you are holding acceptances because I got a letter stating the name of three schools. The most annoying part is that I withdrew from one of the schools in February but AMCAS, suprisingly..., has wrong information. I even checked with the school and they knew that I withdrew.

4. MUN2005

MUN2005 Miner?

Do schools hold the right to withdraw acceptances at anytime? Has this happened to anybody who has/had multiple acceptances?

5. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    Here is what I am dying to know: my school starts on July 22.....what happens if a school I would prefer to attend would accept me after that date? Do I really have to withdraw all applications when I start orientation? :confused:

Do any med students know about this from last year???

6. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
    <strong>Here is what I am dying to know: my school starts on July 22.....what happens if a school I would prefer to attend would accept me after that date? Do I really have to withdraw all applications when I start orientation? :confused:

Do any med students know about this from last year???</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i think once you begin your orientation (i.e. start school) you are officially matriculated...there's no turning back!! :(

there's still time between now and july 22 though. :)

7. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

Dra Foxy, from the AAMC acceptance guidelines, once you start orientation at an accredited US medical school, all other schools where you are waitlisted are Not allowed to accept you, and thus obligated to drop you from their waitlists regardless whether you have a dying love for them. It really sucks!

8. Bradleyp

Bradleyp Senior Member

At that point Doctora, I would not worry about going anywhere else. Otherwise you'll worry yourself to death about where you didn't end up instead of enjoying (or hating all of the studying) where you are. good luck

9. otter

otter Senior Member

if I were you, I would pressure the other schools (where you're waitlisted at) to make a decision by explaining your situation, as July 22nd draws closer and closer.

10. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    It just sucks so much....the moderator of this board, CobraGirl, got into UF, my #1 choice, last July. It makes me so sad. :( Maybe I'll get into another school that starts in August so I'll have more time.....

11. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

Foxy, I think otter's suggestion is very good. When you write that letter of interest/intent to whatever schools that you'd choose over Finch, make sure to let them know you need a definite answer before July 21st. I think most schools would oblige.

12. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    They'll have no problem rejecting me earlier in that case...I can't demand an acceptance by a certain date! But maybe I'll subtly mention that I start in late July.....thanks for the advice everyone. :)

13. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life

Foxy, I was reading an old UF vs. UM thread, and I'm pretty sure Cobragirl got into UF much earlier than July. At least according to this she did: <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001853&p=" target="_blank">UF vs UM</a>

14. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    oh ok, thanks Papi,.....weird, I could have sworn I read that she got in in July. :confused: I just did some more reading, and it seems that she got accepted by April....I think I confused her with Katie.

p.s. Katie, when in July did you get in?

15. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member

i knew of a girl who was on a waitlist at harvard and started her first week at ucsd and then go the call the day before harvard classes began that there was an open spot and she could have it if she still wanted...so she got on a plane that very nite, had her stuff shipped to her and started classes the very next day she got the phone call...(after a week at ucsd)....

so i don't know what the official rules are about withdrawing, but...i know for a FACT she did this.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member

18. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member

Just tell your first choice everything, including the fact that you may very well start classes mid-July.