Confirming that schools know of multiple acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Kermit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the opening of an e-mail I received from Temple today. (I have already withdrawn.)

Congratulations on having been accepted to Temple University School of
Medicine and, according to AMCAS, at least one other medical school.
We certainly hope that you will select Temple for your medical education
and look forward to you joining us in August.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools know exactly where you are holding acceptances because I got a letter stating the name of three schools. The most annoying part is that I withdrew from one of the schools in February but AMCAS, suprisingly..., has wrong information. I even checked with the school and they knew that I withdrew.

Do schools hold the right to withdraw acceptances at anytime? Has this happened to anybody who has/had multiple acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I am dying to know: my school starts on July 22.....what happens if a school I would prefer to attend would accept me after that date? Do I really have to withdraw all applications when I start orientation? :confused:

Do any med students know about this from last year???

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•Here is what I am dying to know: my school starts on July 22.....what happens if a school I would prefer to attend would accept me after that date? Do I really have to withdraw all applications when I start orientation? :confused:

Do any med students know about this from last year???•••••i think once you begin your orientation (i.e. start school) you are officially matriculated...there's no turning back!! :(

there's still time between now and july 22 though. :)

Dra Foxy, from the AAMC acceptance guidelines, once you start orientation at an accredited US medical school, all other schools where you are waitlisted are Not allowed to accept you, and thus obligated to drop you from their waitlists regardless whether you have a dying love for them. It really sucks!

At that point Doctora, I would not worry about going anywhere else. Otherwise you'll worry yourself to death about where you didn't end up instead of enjoying (or hating all of the studying) where you are. good luck

if I were you, I would pressure the other schools (where you're waitlisted at) to make a decision by explaining your situation, as July 22nd draws closer and closer.

It just sucks so much....the moderator of this board, CobraGirl, got into UF, my #1 choice, last July. It makes me so sad. :( Maybe I'll get into another school that starts in August so I'll have more time.....

Foxy, I think otter's suggestion is very good. When you write that letter of interest/intent to whatever schools that you'd choose over Finch, make sure to let them know you need a definite answer before July 21st. I think most schools would oblige.

They'll have no problem rejecting me earlier in that case...I can't demand an acceptance by a certain date! But maybe I'll subtly mention that I start in late July.....thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Foxy, I was reading an old UF vs. UM thread, and I'm pretty sure Cobragirl got into UF much earlier than July. At least according to this she did: <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001853&p=" target="_blank">UF vs UM</a>

oh ok, thanks Papi,.....weird, I could have sworn I read that she got in in July. :confused: I just did some more reading, and it seems that she got accepted by April....I think I confused her with Katie.

p.s. Katie, when in July did you get in?

i knew of a girl who was on a waitlist at harvard and started her first week at ucsd and then go the call the day before harvard classes began that there was an open spot and she could have it if she still wanted...so she got on a plane that very nite, had her stuff shipped to her and started classes the very next day she got the phone call...(after a week at ucsd)....

so i don't know what the official rules are about withdrawing, but...i know for a FACT she did this.

Just tell your first choice everything, including the fact that you may very well start classes mid-July.