Conflict of interest question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a weird question about a weird situation. The doctor I'm with this rotation does most of her practice as a specialty. And I myself have a possible medical problem that fits within the spectrum of that specialty.

I have been seen by another doctor, but they don't seem to want to treat as aggressively since it's not clear that the problem exists. And they are also just hard to get access to...it's a resident's clinic, and my Fellow has clinic only 1 morning a week...I only get to talk to the attending for a few seconds.

But here's the problem: I would like to switch doctors. And the doctor I'm now working with as a medical student is really good at what she does...I see her treat people's illnesses aggressively to get chronic conditions under control. I can't say I like her personality or style of teaching that much, though, but still...

So the thought occurred to me that it could helpful for me personally to at least get evaluated by her for my medical issues. But that seems like it would definitely be a conflict of interest, regardless of whether I officially became her "patient" or just asked her for advice.

The only thing I can think of is to ask her for recommendations of others in her specialty who treat patients in a similar way. But that seems awkward too. I don't know how much to reveal to her about my specific problems either.

Any ideas? Guess I may be stuck at the residents' clinic for now.

Members don't see this ad.

i would probably just wait until the attending has finished evaluating you and then ask him/her to take you on as a patient.

Hmm, good idea...strangely enough, I hadn't thought of that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, good idea...strangely enough, I hadn't thought of that!

I got treated for a relatively benign problem by a doc while I was doing a sub-i under him, just because I was nervous it was something bad. If there's any urgency to your situation, I don't think it's inappropriate to ask while you're rotating with them. The worst they can say is no, and even then they may be able to refer you to someone who is more to your liking.

I don't see any conflict of interest, personally. If you're worried, ask your attending what she thinks about it before you make an appointment with her. I have had a few patients (med students) who have done rotations with me in my office. It's no problem.