Conflicted about jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riddikulus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm stuck on where I should work next year, my sophomore year. I am already a writing tutor in our academic development center and I was also offered a job as a science tutor. I really was happy because I feel that being a science tutor would keep my skills sharp in Gen Bio and Gen Chem/OChem for the MCAT. However, I was ALSO offered a position to be a General Psychology lab instructor. Psych is my major so I always knew that I really wanted that position. It's kind of cool because you're teaching the entire lab component of the Gen Psych class on your own--I'm pretty excited about it. AND, I'm one of the only sophomores to ever be offered the position.

So, I was all set to accept all three jobs, until I talked to the supervisors in the tutoring center. The science and writing centers require monthly in-services on the first and second Thursdays of the month, respectively. And the psych position requires weekly meetings on--you guessed it--Thursdays, at the same exact time! So my boss said I have to choose: I can only be one type of tutor if I want to be a LI.

Based on my goals as a pre-med, with the MCAT ahead (though not for a couple of years), what would you do? Would you keep the writing tutor job or switch to be a science tutor? Or completely drop the LI thing? And does any position hold more weight with adcoms (I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask). Thanks for any advice you may have!!

Members don't see this ad.

science tutor > writing tutor

Tutoring these intro classes will help refine your understanding of the basics of biology and general/organic chemistry and as you were thinking, keep your skills sharp... it'll be a tremendous help for the MCAT.

Being a writing tutor doesn't offer any special advantages in this way.

If you have time with the science tutoring commitment, then do the lab instructor position as well.

That's what I'm thinking. It's just that I'd feel kind of bad for ditching my writing job...my boss took a risk in hiring a freshman (she had never done that before) and she is really nice. Plus, I love writing--it's definitely one of my main hobbies and it's been kind of nice to balance all my science classes with helping people with their writing.

But I think you're right, especially if I'm only considering my med school goals. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a science tutor at my school and I can tell you for a fact that this job has definitely kept my gchem,bio,physics, and ochem skills really sharp. if your ultimate goal is med school then i'd recommend being a science tutor. In my opinion it feels like someone is paying me to prep for the MCAT; not exactly but you get what i mean :laugh:

If you would really feel bad about leaving, ask her if theres a different time that you can come in to make up the material covered in the In-service. This would show her that you still really care about the job and don't just want to ditch it for the next better offer.

Ha, that's a funny way to think about it! I do think it would really help my science skills too. She has offered to keep me on the list to be a science tutor next year, which is really awesome, so if I can't do it all this year I could re-evaluate for next year (my junior year).
If you would really feel bad about leaving, ask her if theres a different time that you can come in to make up the material covered in the In-service. This would show her that you still really care about the job and don't just want to ditch it for the next better offer.

Good idea, I will try that too. I wish it weren't so difficult!