Conflicted about my future. Advice appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAmBlessed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn. I didn't get into med school this year (waitlisted multiple times) and like you would expect, I was very disappointed. I'm not even sure if medicine is right for me; I did premed because my parents decided to spend a fortune on my undergrad education and I wasn't going to waste that opportunity. I have good stats to get admissions (31 mcat, 3.8 gpa), but I'm thinking of taking the year off and applying for jobs. (Thank god I got an employable major in economics, not biology :))

My question to you is this: if I don't continue volunteering and doing research (I want to join corporate america), will that look bad to medical schools if I decide to apply 3 years from now?

Hope everyone who got accepted enjoys medicine!

Members don't see this ad.

You should continue to volunteer to provide a consistent track record of altruism. Most medical schools look negatively at sporadic volunteering - it comes across as an applicant simply padding their application rather than having a sincere desire to help others.

Reactions: 1 user
You should continue to volunteer to provide a consistent track record of altruism. Most medical schools look negatively at sporadic volunteering - it comes across as an applicant simply padding their application rather than having a sincere desire to help others.
How am I suppose to feed myself?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Were there any red flags in your app? You should have gotten an acceptance with those stats barring any negatives in your app and providing you applied to the right schools. Unless you're really gung-ho about working for a bit before trying again at med school, I think you could fix whatever went wrong and try again this coming year.

Were there any red flags in your app? You should have gotten an acceptance with those stats barring any negatives in your app and providing you applied to the right schools.
Maybe, but not likely. Sometimes, you're just unlucky because your a basic applicant. It is what it is. Time to move on!

You don't have to volunteer 24/7. You should be volunteering because you enjoy it anyway, Not because you want to use it to help get into medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't have to volunteer 24/7. You should be volunteering because you enjoy it anyway, Not because you want to use it to help get into medical school.
I love how your insinuating that there is a question about my morals. My inability to volunteer with a full-time job somehow makes me a terrible person :)

It can take a few months (or more!) to get settled with a full-time job, but when you have a good routine going with work you can explore volunteer opportunities that are compatible with your work schedule. You can always ask this in the non-trad forum! Those of us who reside there have usually worked full-time + taken pre-reqs + volunteered at the same time. I say that to encourage you that it certainly is possible! You don't have to start a non-profit or anything; a few hours a week is all it takes! And I think it would probably be advisable if you're hoping to apply down the road. Good luck!

You said you did premed because of your parents, and not because you want to be a physician. Imo that is your answer right there. The whole process of becoming a doctor and then being a physician is a terrible road to go down and deal with if it isn't 100% what YOU want to do.

Make your parents proud of you by doing what you want to do and being successful in that, if that is something in the business world, do that. Don't make the huge mistake of going to medical school when it isn't what you really want, you will regret your decision, likely be extremely miserable, then not be able to do well, and really hurt yourself financially as well as put yourself years behind on your actual desired career path (and make it harder because then you aren't applying as fresh out of school).

I love how your insinuating that there is a question about my morals. My inability to volunteer with a full-time job somehow makes me a terrible person :)
**You're** learn it, love it.
You also had to ask how you're going to feed yourself if you volunteer... Volunteering is taking literally a few hours out of your day to fill a need. Put in a full work week and do a little on the side.
You don't have to volunteer, but you'll survive just fine on a pay check and volunteering on the side.

IMO Decision making process for you should be:
1) Do I really want to do medicine? Yes --> Go to 2; No --> Live happily ever after.
2) What was wrong with my application this time around?
Not enough volunteer --> volunteer more. (You should continue on weekends anyway).
Not enough schools/bad school choice --> apply more broadly and seek good advice on schools
Crappy Essay --> find help writing a good essay and re-write.
Crappy interview skills --> talk to people who have been admitted and done the interviewing and practice practice practice.

We give non-trads some slack since they have lives, but we also expect you to walk and chew gum at the same time, so you can balance work and something else. There are 168 hrs in a week, 40 is for work, and what, another 40 for sleeping? Use part of that time for some ECs.

We give non-trads some slack since they have lives, but we also expect you to walk and chew gum at the same time, so you can balance work and something else. There are 168 hrs in a week, 40 is for work, and what, another 40 for sleeping? Use part of that time for some ECs.

WTF. 40 for sleep!? Must be an attending lifestyle. I'm at 35.

If you are on mulitple waitlists in march you still have chances...hopefully you interview with more charisma than the thread shows ;). Keep your head up