Confused about AMCAS Application Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giggles411

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just went on the amcas website and it states "Submitted AMCAS applications will begin to transmit to the medical schools on or about June 21st, 2007." So does that mean that whether we submit our apps today or a week from today makes no difference as long as it's before June 21st? I just don't see where "rolling admissions" comes into play when they're specifically stating that they won't give our apps to the med schools until June 21st regardless. Is it still beneficial to apply ASAP or does it not matter as long as we apply before June 21st?
Thanks guys!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

This is the first I've heard of this, but, I have heard that medical schools don't really look at the applications until the very end of June anyway. So, if your app is totally ready and your PS is stellar, go ahead and submit and you'll get verified really quick and be done with it all. But, in all actuality it doesn't really matter if you submit today or in two weeks....You'll still get your secondaries around the same time either way.

Thanks DayDune. I appreciate it :) Good to know that I I've been losing sleep over these apps to get them in this week when it really makes no difference....*sigh*

Members don't see this ad :)
When you submit, your application get's put into an ordered pile. As each application's list of transcripts are completed, they get pulled and "audited" by somebody there at the AAMC. Once they are done making corrections to your AMCAS coursework using your official tanscripts, the application is certified and then sent out to schools.

Now, the earlier you hit SUBMIT, the higher in the pile your application will be. Those who submit early in this process get processed ("audited") quickly, say in a week or two or maybe even in days. Those who are being processed in September may be in a 1.5-2 month wait. So you see, then longer you wait to hit SUBMIT, the longer out your primary application gets to the schools.

Since you submitted in June, you have nothing to worry about as long as all your transcripts arrive to the AAMC soon. You'll be processed ("audited"), your primary application will be submitted to the schools, and you'll be one of the first ones looked at. :thumbup:

If you were me last year, you would have hit SUBMIT in mid September, you'll have to wait 6 weeks for them to certify ("audit") your application, and be stuck filling out secondaries in November, stressing out over Christmas break, and pulling your hair out in January, early February with no interviews. :eek:

"Submitted AMCAS applications will begin to transmit to the medical schools on or about June 21st, 2007"

That is the beginning date they posted that they will be done verifying apps. If you submit June 18th, it doesn't mean you will get yours processed June 21st. Like Lifetime said, June 5th people will get theirs out first, and a June 20th person, it'll still take a few days (like June 28th or so) to get verified. *Also, I believe they just post that so June 5 or 6 submitters won't contact them in ten days asking for updates. Officially, it says verification takes 4-6 weeks, but lots of people get through in 5-10 days. Anyways, if you submit anytime in June you will be ahead of the curve in that regard. I sent in my app because toiling over and over on the application, and adjusting a few words here and there, won't really make that significant a difference. ADCOMs will spend probably 1/20th the time looking over your app as you did.

And who knows how the secondaries will work. Some schools might not even request their their admission committee to work on 2008 apps until July 1. They might still be working on 07 waitlist stuff.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm aiming to hit "SUBMIT" soon (but definitely NOT today :/). Good luck!

Update
June 21st, whatever...
(On my AMCAS account) AMCAS Processing is Complete Application has been made available to the designated medical schools.

Congratulations,

Your AMCAS 2008 application has completed processing. Please log on and review your application using the Print Application option located on the right side of the Main Menu.

Important Information:
You are required to review your verified course work and GPA. If you find discrepancies, or you disagree with changes made during the verification process, you are responsible for submitting an Academic Change Request within ten days from the date AMCAS processing is complete. The Academic Change Request option is available on the right side of the Main Menu. Please read the online help text for more information about the Academic Change Request process.

Thank you for using AMCAS, and best wishes during your medical school admissions process

Update
June 21st, whatever...
(On my AMCAS account) AMCAS Processing is Complete Application has been made available to the designated medical schools.

Congratulations,

Your AMCAS 2008 application has completed processing. Please log on and review your application using the Print Application option located on the right side of the Main Menu.

Important Information:
You are required to review your verified course work and GPA. If you find discrepancies, or you disagree with changes made during the verification process, you are responsible for submitting an Academic Change Request within ten days from the date AMCAS processing is complete. The Academic Change Request option is available on the right side of the Main Menu. Please read the online help text for more information about the Academic Change Request process.

Thank you for using AMCAS, and best wishes during your medical school admissions process
wow

your transcripts had already made it in, I assume?

I'm still waiting on one that I sent like a month ago.

yeah.. i was shocked. last year i submitted on 7/31 (i know i know kinda late), and it wasn't processed until 9/14, 6 weeks later! This year i was more on top of it, submitted at 9:30am on 6/5, was processed by 10:59am 6/5. It went from 1.5 months to 1.5 hours haha.

Yeah, I just got the processing complete email. Rawks.