Confused about calculating Amcas GPA?? anyone know how to do this???

CuttinEmUp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
OK-- so i did a search and read till my eyes popped out about various topics with respect to GPA---

in my previous post..i mentioned how almost 7 years ago i had been taking lots of units at JC..and dropping/failing classes...ended up w/ a 2.44.

after deciding what i wanted to do with my life...i entered the State University and have been doing VERY well here..and managed to raise my cumulative GPA including the sickening city college up to a low 3's.

QUESTION:

i realize i will need to explain the GLARING terrible GPA at city college...but on the AMCAS..do i need to report all of my classes there? for example..do i just list my years at the university only or do i have to also include all the classes i took at City college..many of which arent science related whatsoever?

does the AMCAS gpa usually end up a bit higher than the undergrad GPA??

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
yup, you need to report every single class you've taken, whether it's at a JC or a University, and whether they are scince related classes or not.

Keep in mind that AMCAS will calculate 3 different gpas for you - an overall, a science, and a non-science gpa. For a lot of people, your overall and science gpas will be higher than on your transcript. But it just depends on the person.

Good luck :luck:

guitarguy09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Northeast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Plus, you will have the opportunity to explain any grade trends/changes in your personal statement or secondary apps. Good luck.

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
list EVERYTHING that's on your transcript. they're going to see it anyway, since you have to have your transcripts mailed to them, and you definitely don't want to make it look like you're trying to cover anything up!
as guitarguy said, and i said before, use your personal statement as a place to include a discussion of any changes or weaknesses in your grades, and you can also put a positive spin on it there; don't make excuses, just tell them how you've improved.