Confused about Ki??

77deuce

5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
    Competitive inhibitors bind in the active site of an enzyme. Uncompetitive inhibitors bind to an allosteric site on the enzyme-substrate complex.

What kind of inhibitor binds to the substrate??
    ......................................................................... vvvvvvvvvvv
    screen-shot-2017-08-04-at-1-37-35-pm-png.222170

...........................................................................^^^^^^^^

Last edited:

Doogie.Howser

2+ Year Member
    Jun 6, 2017
    1. Medical Student
      Ah- sorry! In terms of enzyme kinetics, anything that affects the substrate doesn't effect the boundaries of the enzyme. The only time the kinetics is changed is when there's a change in Vmax or Km for the enzyme. Altering the substrate doesn't create a change in the Vmax or Km of the enzyme because the enzyme itself is not altered in any way.
      Does that make sense? In other words, it's a different discussion.

About the Ads

77deuce

5+ Year Member
      Apr 6, 2016
      1. Pre-Medical
        Ah- sorry! In terms of enzyme kinetics, anything that affects the substrate doesn't effect the boundaries of the enzyme. The only time the kinetics is changed is when there's a change in Vmax or Km for the enzyme. Altering the substrate doesn't create a change in the Vmax or Km of the enzyme because the enzyme itself is not altered in any way.
        Does that make sense? In other words, it's a different discussion.

Thanks! Well I've been looking around online to better understand Ki. What I take away from the below picture (which was written by a PhD) is that a lower Ki means a stronger inhibitor. I hope I'm not mistaken.
        Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 6.16.31 PM.png

aldol16

5+ Year Member
        Nov 1, 2015
        1. Medical Student
          Thanks! Well I've been looking around online to better understand Ki. What I take away from the below picture (which was written by a PhD) is that a lower Ki means a stronger inhibitor. I hope I'm not mistaken.

Inhibitors bind the enzyme in a way similar to the substrate but results in killing the enzyme. Many inhibitors will bind in the same mode as a substrate but contain a non-reactive moiety in place of the reactive one in the substrate. An example is HIV protease inhibitors. Inhibitors do not bind substrate - they bind to the enzyme because they're inhibiting the enzyme.

77deuce

5+ Year Member
          Apr 6, 2016
          1. Pre-Medical
            Inhibitors bind the enzyme in a way similar to the substrate but results in killing the enzyme. Many inhibitors will bind in the same mode as a substrate but contain a non-reactive moiety in place of the reactive one in the substrate. An example is HIV protease inhibitors. Inhibitors do not bind substrate - they bind to the enzyme because they're inhibiting the enzyme.

Thanks! Now could you take it a step further and tie this info into how that all relates to the below picture? Does higher Ki mean mean a stronger or weaker inhibitor?

Any intuition on Ki would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.37.35 PM.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.