Confused about kinematic equations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capfroggy2k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example: x=Vox(t) + 1/2ax(t^2)

when would I use x = Vox(t) versus using the whole equation?

Members don't see this ad.

You would use the small bottom equation when you have a constant velocity (Vo). When your velocity is constant, there is no acceleration (a), and thus the entire second term drops out and you are just left with x = (Vo)*t.

Ugh ok thanks. I hate kinematic equations the most, since they are the least intuitive to me. 4 equations just for one concept + other ones to know for specific things like the time at max height of projectile or whatever.

Just memorize those equations and do practice problems until you really understand them. Kinematics are some of the most common types of physics questions so you should be able to find practice questions on kinematics in all sorts of places (online, text books, MCAT prep books, etc). After a little practice, it will be a lot easier. Good luck!

Do they have projectiles questions on the MCAT. I don't think it is included in the list of physical science topics. Anybody???

It is often included with the kinematics material. I don't specifically remember one on my MCAT but I wouldn't skip studying them.