Confused about letter limit with packet/committee letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormcloakdoctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have posted on this topic before but the situation has since updated. I will be doing my committee interview on August 17, but due to delays related to COVID-19, I can't expect to get the letter back until possibly early September.

My school's committee letter does not addendum the individual letters at the end. Instead, it is a 6 page review from all of the committee members on the applicant's qualifications. For this reason, they have uploaded a letter packet for me (including 5 letters).

This is where my concern comes in. Most schools have a maximum limit of 5 letters. If I upload the letter packet now and assign a future committee letter, will this be over the 5 letter limit? I see that some schools consider the committee letter to count as two letters. This would mean that if I upload both, I exceed the limit at 7 letters.

Does the letter packet count as a single letter, even though it contains 5 individual letters? I don't want to make it look like I can't follow directions. This is especially evident when schools say on MSAR: "Letter packet OR committee letter".

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-Individual letter limits only are in force if you are submitting individual letters which you are not
-you are submitting TWO and only TWO letters
-ONE committee letter
-ONE letter packet

Thank you kindly.

Hi,

I have posted on this topic before but the situation has since updated. I will be doing my committee interview on August 17, but due to delays related to COVID-19, I can't expect to get the letter back until possibly early September.

My school's committee letter does not addendum the individual letters at the end. Instead, it is a 6 page review from all of the committee members on the applicant's qualifications. For this reason, they have uploaded a letter packet for me (including 5 letters).

This is where my concern comes in. Most schools have a maximum limit of 5 letters. If I upload the letter packet now and assign a future committee letter, will this be over the 5 letter limit? I see that some schools consider the committee letter to count as two letters. This would mean that if I upload both, I exceed the limit at 7 letters.

Does the letter packet count as a single letter, even though it contains 5 individual letters? I don't want to make it look like I can't follow directions. This is especially evident when schools say on MSAR: "Letter packet OR committee letter".

Thank you.
Letter packer = 1 LOR

And no, more does not mean better either.