confused about LOR deadlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisymay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'll say thanks in advance for your help, as you've all really helped me in the past ... but I've been too shy to bump the post just to say thanks:)

Anyhow, I'm a little confused about LOR deadlines. I was just getting ready to submit my AMCAS application, but then started wondering about the secondary deadlines.

By the time my application is processed, I'll definitely be ready and capable of turning around my secondaries quickly. But my LOR packet won't be ready until early-mid September. So, my question is ... when you submit your secondaries to schools, do you have to include all material (like LOR's) at the same time? If so, maybe I should wait to submit my application.

By the way, I'm taking the August MCAT, so my file won't really be complete until October anyway.

Thanks for your help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

daisymay said:
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'll say thanks in advance for your help, as you've all really helped me in the past ... but I've been too shy to bump the post just to say thanks:)

Anyhow, I'm a little confused about LOR deadlines. I was just getting ready to submit my AMCAS application, but then started wondering about the secondary deadlines.

By the time my application is processed, I'll definitely be ready and capable of turning around my secondaries quickly. But my LOR packet won't be ready until early-mid September. So, my question is ... when you submit your secondaries to schools, do you have to include all material (like LOR's) at the same time? If so, maybe I should wait to submit my application.

By the way, I'm taking the August MCAT, so my file won't really be complete until October anyway.

Thanks for your help. :)
Send everything in as early as possible, including secondaries. If you wait on the secondaries, you risk getting a pile that is unmanageable. Do them as they arrive, it will save stress. Ideally, you want your LOR, AMCAS, and Secondary sitting there and ready when your scores are available.

our school is committee based and does the same thing of sending out a packet in late august / early september.

you should go ahead and submit your secondary as soon as you complete it (along with the mother of a processing fee) and send your LORs once they are available. my understanding is that adcoms don't look at your application until it is complete in entirety, but sending in your application asap shows interest (and you really can't be held liable for a school's policies about sending out the LOR packet).

you really shouldn't wait for your august mcat scores to come in, as you'll be falling behind everyone (especially folks from sdn)...