1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Confused about MD/PhD [might be totally misguided...]

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by -Goose-, Dec 3, 2005.

1. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey guys...

So I went to an interview at my state school here recently, and we started talking about their MD/PHD program and they said that the program was pretty 'flexible' in that you could basically decide to enter it at any time. Students typically entered after first two years, but could enter even after the 3rd year.... This really interests me b/c I am interested in research and academic medicine and I feel like this sort of program might help me career-wise (applying to residency, getting academic jobs in future, etc.) The program includes a full stipend for the two research years (not mstp, obviously)...

Anyways, is this pretty much the 'norm', or is it an exception? Any thoughts? Am I totally off-base here?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. beary

beary Pancytopenic
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It sounds like the exception to me. I am more familiar with NIH-funded MSTPs, but I think generally those involve entering research after the M2 year. Also, MSTPs provide stipends through med school as well which is a big financial advantage compared to paying for an MD and then doing a Ph.D. anyway. I would bet that after M3 year, most people are just going to want to finish since the MD is so close - I know that is how I would feel.

4. penguinophile

penguinophile MetalHead
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know where this is, but if they told you it was an MD/PhD and said there were only TWO research years...they are nuts.

5. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i'm pretty sure they said two to three years... and it definitely is not MSTP (although the 2-3 years are funded with scholarship and stipend).