confused about my DAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLOVEsports

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called Temple today to ask about the status of my application and found out I was rejected. When I ask for a quick reasoning of why and what I can do to better myself as an applicant, I was told that my DAT scores could have been more competitive. The person said that a score of 20-21 is now considered competitve for their school and I had an overall score of 19.6. But when I got my official scores from ADA, it read that my scores were:

AA 20
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 19
O Chem 22
PAT 19
Reading 21
Quant 17

So how come the schools are saying my DAT score was a 19.6? My official scores say that I got AA 20.

Members don't see this ad.

I called Temple today to ask about the status of my application and found out I was rejected. When I ask for a quick reasoning of why and what I can do to better myself as an applicant, I was told that my DAT scores could have been more competitive. The person said that a score of 20-21 is now considered competitve for their school and I had an overall score of 19.6. But when I got my official scores from ADA, it read that my scores were:

AA 20
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 19
O Chem 22
PAT 19
Reading 21
Quant 17

So how come the schools are saying my DAT score was a 19.6? My official scores say that I got AA 20.

(19+19+22+21+17)/5 = 19.6 which ADA rounded up to give you 20.

There are five different 20. (19.6, 19.8, 20, 20.2, 20.4)

I personally think Temple is doing the right thing by using the decimal scale. A person with 20.4 has total score of 102 while one with 19.6 has 98. That's 4 points difference.

AA 20
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 19
O Chem 22
PAT 19
Reading 21
Quant 17

Yikes.. that seems really picky. I have a 19.. so should I even bother applying to Temple next spring?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

AA 20
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 19
O Chem 22
PAT 19
Reading 21
Quant 17

whats your gpa?

I thought each section was weighed differently to calculate the AA?

To calculate the average, why did you not consider the PAT score? Was that intentional or you just forgot? Because that does not make sense if the op's pat score is included...

your score looks good to me. Temple's pool must be really competitive this year...

It could be your gpa...

To calculate the average, why did you not consider the PAT score? Was that intentional or you just forgot? Because that does not make sense if the op's pat score is included...

PAT scores are not calculated into the AA or TS...

I called Temple today to ask about the status of my application and found out I was rejected.

ouch, I was on the phone w/ them changing my address the other day and i was about to ask for my status too... glad i didnt.... now i can still hold out some hope. :rolleyes:

I didn't think they'd tell you if you are rejected before they sent out an official letter or something. I just thought they'd beat around the bush and say you'd have to wait.

That's a pretty harsh rejection.. over .4

Your low gpa is what doomed your application rather than your DAT scores. For 2007 the mean DAT score was 19.73. If you look at www.predents.com you will notice that more than half of the respondents had DAT scores at 19 or below. On the same site you will also notice that of the 9 that were accepted with gpa below 3.3 three had DAT scores of 19/21/19, 19/20/18 and 18/19/24 with the balance having scores of 20. (See post)

Your low gpa is what doomed your application rather than your DAT scores. For 2007 the mean DAT score was 19.73. If you look at www.predents.com you will notice that more than half of the respondents had DAT scores at 19 or below. On the same site you will also notice that of the 9 that were accepted with gpa below 3.3 three had DAT scores of 19/21/19, 19/20/18 and 18/19/24 with the balance having scores of 20. (See post)

Yeah, I know my GPA sucks. I'm working on it though. I just hoped that my DAT score (thinking it was a 20) and my extracurriculars would have helped somewhat outweight my GPA. But I guess not :( Oh well, I still have other schools to hear back from. And I'm getting ready to reapply anyways. So if I need to be, which seems likely at this point, I'll be ready.

AA 20
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 19
O Chem 22
PAT 19
Reading 21
Quant 17

I'm sorry but I think that is a BS answer. I believe you when you say they said that, but I think Temple (and other schools) just give rejected applicants BS answers to make them go away. There is no way that they would reject you with a 19.6 AA (I can't believe they did the math on that one) and accept you with a 20 AA. Plus, watch people get accepted with a 19.6 and lower AA after Dec 1st.

If that is true, then that is rediculous.

I havent heard from Temple yet...LOL

Sorry to hear that man; just increase your GPA, and you're right when saying that you'd compensate your GPA with DAT, so each school has different policy.
Good luck with other schools.

Yeah, I know my GPA sucks. I'm working on it though. I just hoped that my DAT score (thinking it was a 20) and my extracurriculars would have helped somewhat outweight my GPA. But I guess not :( Oh well, I still have other schools to hear back from. And I'm getting ready to reapply anyways. So if I need to be, which seems likely at this point, I'll be ready.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=580290

I thought each section was weighed differently to calculate the AA?

Are you thinking of TS? TS is calculated based on the actual questions and is not just a straight average of Bio, Chem & OChem. AA is the mean of all scores except PAT.

Wow ... I just calculated my DAT score out to be the same 19.6 and ive already interviewed. What is your GPA if you dont mind my asking?

My GPA was really low. My overall is 3.12 and my science GPA is 2.98. So, it does make sense that I didn't get accepted because of my GPA. But my concern is, if I end up having to reapply, should I retake my DAT. I am currently doing a post bac program and am doing well in it and I also continued my work at the dental office and in a research lab. When Temple told me that my DAT score was the problem (and didn't even address my GPA) I was kind of confused because from speaking with other people, I thought I did decently well on my DATs and that my score may even help outweigh my low GPA to some point.

My GPA was really low. My overall is 3.12 and my science GPA is 2.98. So, it does make sense that I didn't get accepted because of my GPA. But my concern is, if I end up having to reapply, should I retake my DAT. I am currently doing a post bac program and am doing well in it and I also continued my work at the dental office and in a research lab. When Temple told me that my DAT score was the problem (and didn't even address my GPA) I was kind of confused because from speaking with other people, I thought I did decently well on my DATs and that my score may even help outweigh my low GPA to some point.

you're gonna have to answer how you improved your application. Redoing your DAT is the easiest way to improve your app. Do it :)

Yeah I think I'm just gonna go ahead and start studying for the DATs so that I can retake it. So if I have to reapply, I'll have an increased GPA and, hopefully, a better DAT score. Thanks for all the advice.