Confused about my practice test scores. Don't know what to think.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotta go

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally scheduled to take the test Aug.12. When I started taking full lengths in early July I took 3 kaplans and aamc 3 and got (27, 28, 28, 28)

This wasnt good enough so I decided to reschedule for september and really got to work on things i needed practice with (mainly P.S.) So i reviewed in BR and did many of the passages over and I started feeling nice with P.S. I took kaplan 6 a few days and got 33 (11,11,11) and thought, awesome. Then I took aamc 4 and got a 27 (10,7,9). Feeling bad about this but going to work even harder now. My test is in a little more than 3 weeks. I am taking verbal very seriously (doing a section test a day, and analyzing it.)

Is this really bad for 3 weeks out? Do you think I can bring up this terrible verbal? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I do think it's possible. There's something lacking, however, that you're stagnant on scores despite studying. Maybe review more carefully and re-read your notes every day or every other day.

I think a section per day is a little much, because you're burning yourself out and probably not analyzing it enough. I would do every other day, and analyze/review it the next day for an hour.

Yes, I do think it's possible. There's something lacking, however, that you're stagnant on scores despite studying. Maybe review more carefully and re-read your notes every day or every other day.

I think a section per day is a little much, because you're burning yourself out and probably not analyzing it enough. I would do every other day, and analyze/review it the next day for an hour.

+1

You have a lot of time to improve your scores. Just keep doing AAMC FLs and make sure you review your tests

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks.

I think I will get better at taking the test with practice too. More than half of the questions I get wrong on the sciences I know how to do, but just make a stupid mistake.

I was originally scheduled to take the test Aug.12. When I started taking full lengths in early July I took 3 kaplans and aamc 3 and got (27, 28, 28, 28)

This wasnt good enough so I decided to reschedule for september and really got to work on things i needed practice with (mainly P.S.) So i reviewed in BR and did many of the passages over and I started feeling nice with P.S. I took kaplan 6 a few days and got 33 (11,11,11) and thought, awesome. Then I took aamc 4 and got a 27 (10,7,9). Feeling bad about this but going to work even harder now. My test is in a little more than 3 weeks. I am taking verbal very seriously (doing a section test a day, and analyzing it.)

Is this really bad for 3 weeks out? Do you think I can bring up this terrible verbal? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

AAMC FL's are the most predictive but don't count on AAMC 3 being too predictive. If I recall correctly it is one of the easiest of the AAMC FL's. You're best off taking them all but the later ones were more predictive in my experience.

I wouldn't be too concerned with a stray test or two - the most important thing is trends. You have a very clear trend of improvement, so your studying WAS working. I would take another test or two, and if the scores continue to fall, then be concerned and think about pushing your exam back. I took a couple of tests that were 5+ points below tests I took before and after (and 10+ points lower than my real score).

yup you have plenty of time to improve your scores. Focus on understanding the concepts and taking those AAMC.. Hopefully you will be able to score 30+ on the practices and on the real thing ! :)

You need to do the more recent AAMC exams to see where you're standing in terms of the newer MCAT question styles.

If you're still getting ~28, you need to postpone or expect that score (or a few points lower).

Just got a 32 on AAMC 5 (13,10,9) :D...I don't know what happened with bio, but I feel good about that 13.

I dont know whats going on me with me. I just took AAMC 8 and got a 28 (11,6!, 11). I thought I was finally getting better at verbal scoring 8-10 on the last couple EK and AAMC, now I get a 6! I couldn't focus on AAMC 7 verbal at all.

The funny this is, I got a raw score of 113 on AAMC 5 and got a 32 while I got a raw score of 109 on AAMC 7 and got a 28!

This sucks, did anyone else thing AAMC 7 was particularly hard?

More difficult tests are more leniently curved, so it doesn't really matter if you thought it was harder. The score it pops out should be indicative of what you can expect to get if you took Test 10 instead. Looking at the feel of each exam based on the questions asked and material presented, I did not think 3-7 were particularly hard. As you go from test 8-11, the "difficulty" should increase, but not really affect your predicted score. Case in point, when I took the FL CBT's 5-11, I averaged 37-39, despite the obvious increase in difficulty for test 11. The real value of these tests is to help build your stamina and improve your test taking abilities. Try to take it somewhere public, with some background noise.

I don't believe I saw you post your AAMC 7 scores. How was PS? From what you've presented so far, you can slow down on studying the PS section. Just mainly review and do some practice stuff here and there. Concentrate heavily on verbal since this can sink your ship, and whatever time you have left outside of verbal on BS. I think you have plenty of time to improve your weak sections and get that satisfactory score.

I am sorry I made an error when I posted. I meant to say I just took AAMC 7, not 8. I will be taking 8 in a few days.

It was AAMC 5, raw score 113, 32(13, 10, 9)
and today AAMC 7, raw score 109 28(11, 6, 11)

Got a 32 on AAMC 8 (11, 10, 11) One point away from 12 on P.S.

I thought the P.S. was pretty hard on this one. Thought I did worse on the entire test overall.