Confused about NRMP obligation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PH7.4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I sign up for NRMP and fill out ERAS and apply to ERAS programs, but then I take a position outside the match, is that OK, as long as I withdraw from NRMP once I've taken the position?

Looking to get a job no matter what and want all available options -- i.e., applying through ERAS but also calling places offering outside the match jobs. No interest in doing anything shady or underhanded. Just trying to get a job.

If it makes any difference I am PGY-1, not allo senior.

As always any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
p7

Members don't see this ad.

Once you sign up for the match through the NRMP, you are obliged to take a position if you match into it. If you get a spot outside of the match, you are still technically participating in the match since you signed up for it. You simply do not rank any programs in the match, and you will "fail to match", which is totally convenient since you already have a spot lined up for you.

Once you sign up for the match through the NRMP, you are obliged to take a position if you match into it. If you get a spot outside of the match, you are still technically participating in the match since you signed up for it. You simply do not rank any programs in the match, and you will "fail to match", which is totally convenient since you already have a spot lined up for you.

While technically true that if you do not submit a Rank Order List, you will not match, the NRMP requires that you notify them that you are withdrawing from the match if you have obtained a position outside of the match. For next year, the deadline is February 23, 2011.

List of dates.

2.4.1 Withdrawal by the Applicant
Independent applicants may withdraw from the Matching Program, but only if the NRMP receives their withdrawal request prior to the rank order list certification deadline through the Match Site Withdrawal screen for the Matching Program. Applicants who accept a concurrent year residency position outside the Matching Program or through any other national matching service shall withdraw from the Matching Program. Withdrawal from the Matching Program must be completed prior to the rank order list certification deadline. Failure to withdraw from the Matching Program prior to the rank order list certification deadline shall be a breach of this Agreement and may subject the applicant to the penalties described in Section 7.0. Applicants in the Matching Program are prohibited from accepting a position through any other national matching service or by agreement outside the Matching Program after the rank order list certification deadline.

Thus, you can't just not submit a list and be automatically withdrawn.

If I sign up for NRMP and fill out ERAS and apply to ERAS programs, but then I take a position outside the match, is that OK, as long as I withdraw from NRMP once I've taken the position?

Looking to get a job no matter what and want all available options -- i.e., applying through ERAS but also calling places offering outside the match jobs. No interest in doing anything shady or underhanded. Just trying to get a job.

If it makes any difference I am PGY-1, not allo senior.

As always any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
p7

Yes, if you take this route (and actually withdraw from the Match, not just don't submit a ROL list) you will be kosher as far as NRMP goes. And yes, as an independent applicant, you are eligible for a pre-match if one is offered to you.

How about for the fellowship match? Same rules apply?

If you are in a US residency program then can you pre-match to a fellowship?

One of the attendings I was working with told me he got several offers for a pre-match when he was going to fellowship interviews...he is US med school grad and US residency trained.

How about for the fellowship match? Same rules apply?

If you are in a US residency program then can you pre-match to a fellowship?

One of the attendings I was working with told me he got several offers for a pre-match when he was going to fellowship interviews...he is US med school grad and US residency trained.

The fellowship rules are much looser and mostly restrict what programs can do, not applicants. Any fellowship applicant can accept a pre-match offer. Programs may not offer more than 25% of their spots outside of the Match over a period of 4 years (I think...I may have the time frame wrong but you get the idea...let's just move on pretending I'm correct). So if a program has 4 spots a year, they can give one spot each year outside the Match or give them all outside the Match one year, then all in the Match the next 3 years. Many programs don't give out pre-match spots at all but others do (mine does not).

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

While technically true that if you do not submit a Rank Order List, you will not match, the NRMP requires that you notify them that you are withdrawing from the match if you have obtained a position outside of the match. For next year, the deadline is February 23, 2011.

List of dates.

2.4.1 Withdrawal by the Applicant
Independent applicants may withdraw from the Matching Program, but only if the NRMP receives their withdrawal request prior to the rank order list certification deadline through the Match Site Withdrawal screen for the Matching Program. Applicants who accept a concurrent year residency position outside the Matching Program or through any other national matching service shall withdraw from the Matching Program. Withdrawal from the Matching Program must be completed prior to the rank order list certification deadline. Failure to withdraw from the Matching Program prior to the rank order list certification deadline shall be a breach of this Agreement and may subject the applicant to the penalties described in Section 7.0. Applicants in the Matching Program are prohibited from accepting a position through any other national matching service or by agreement outside the Matching Program after the rank order list certification deadline.

Thus, you can't just not submit a list and be automatically withdrawn.

Thank you for your response. You have saved me from a potential blunder.