Confused about OMFS Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradigm2200

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....just planning the next steps of my life and am really starting to consider specializing. Wasn't really considering OMFS before, but now after some rotations and externships I really seem to enjoy it.

Currently a D4, hopefully graduating in May 2010. Stats: GPA: <3.0, Part 1: 89, Oral surgery externship, Dental outreach participant, Teaching Assistant, and off session emergency care student provider.

I know my GPA kills me in the entire process to apply for OMFS. I am planning to attend a GPR in New York tri-state are and have already applied. Does any OMFS resident or applicant think that after the GPR I stand any shot in getting into an OMFS program. Should I participate in an OMFS internship (1 year "non-categorical" position) after the GPR year. Any help, comments or suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think an internship would definitely help you. And before you graduate, I would do as many other externships as you can. How many have you done? Extern at well known programs as well, but the more you do the more you will look committed and know that you want to do OMFS.

The board score is fine and competitive if you can make the rest of your application competitive. It may also make a difference if you are trying to apply for 4- or 6-years, and if you care about where you want to go. If you are willing to go anywhere and just want to get into any program you can, because you just want to do OMFS, then I think you will have a good shot.

I would even consider doing an internship in lieu of the GPR, instead of in addition to.

Do more externships. Do them during vacation if you cannot miss clinic time. I don't know if you will be able to do any after you graduate.

i have done two already...thanks.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say definitely do GPR, if you are planning to practice in NY it's the only way you'll get a license, do externships just like fjk said. also if your school has OMFS program see if you can attend their grand rounds, case presentations, literature review sessions may be even go to the OR to observe, some schools have orthognathic or cleft lip/palate conferences, every little thing counts to build your CV and show your commitment. However, I've heard that when you do GPR first and then apply for OS the programs may be slightly reluctant to take you because you are considered as PGY2 and not PGY1 so they have to pay you more, but i know a few people who got into OS after the GPR so may be it's not that critical.

hey thanks....I'm just really worried about the gpa...any thoughts if the GPR and internship will make up for it...

thanks.

Two externships is kinda on the minimum end. It's not very many.

The reason I suggest doing more is

1) You might not have the opportunity to after you graduate
2) It'll definitely show you are committed and experienced, and also show you different types of programs you can relate to firsthand, which enforces that you are committed when they ask you what you think about OMFS or what your plans are or etc.
3) It is something you have the time to do before you graduate (whether its on vacation or not), that is unique to dental school, and it will really strengthen your CV.

I've also been told by my attendings that doing an internship is >>> a GPR. I guess that is a generalization but just keep that in mind.

Lastly, try to get a strong letter of rec from your PD or chair of OMFS at your dental school before you graduate. Get involved with rounds and the clinic and whatever it is you can be involved with. Get their support.

I also agree that the feeling among many program directors is that an internship is much more impressive and relevant than a GPR.