Confused about radiology now..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onco2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never been this confused, always knew what I wanted to do in life but now can't decide my future career

was deciding between radiology and radiation oncology but now after reading about the dismal radiology job market, no longer being a life-style specialty, and decreasing reimbursements I'm starting to question my decision.

although i also did enjoy rad onc, I talked myself out of choosing rad onc because it was dependent entirely on 1 mode of treatment (i.e. radiation, although there are different technologies used to utilize it), and because I would not have a say in location of residency/future jobs. I can also see the rad onc job market also saturating in near future..

but now I'm starting to talk myself out of radiology..

considering all things equal (i.e. my interest in both), should I just decide base on life style because reimbursements are most likely going to decrease across the board in both fields and are difficult to predict anyways..

im an average applicant for both fields so wont be going to a powerhouse residency that would have helped with future job recruitment
i like the academic nature of both fields (hoping to do cancer research)
I like that there is possibility of procedure-based options in both fields if I do start craving patient interaction during residency (IR vs. brachytherapy)
i do want to have a life-style, but don't mind working hard
i want to have some-sort of control over where I work in the future because I have kids/family
i do put importance on income because i come from a low socioeconomic background and have a LOT of loans/debt

i understand no one can decide this for me but would be nice to hear some different perspectives (pros/cons) from current residents and radiologists..and if they have any advice/suggestions and whether they would do it again considering the current state of the field

so confused..

also wanted to say I hope I don't offend anyone by discussing the pros/cons of their field (every field has its pros/cons)..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've never been this confused, always knew what I wanted to do in life but now can't decide my future career

was deciding between radiology and radiation oncology but now after reading about the dismal radiology job market, no longer being a life-style specialty, and decreasing reimbursements I'm starting to question my decision.

although i also did enjoy rad onc, I talked myself out of choosing rad onc because it was dependent entirely on 1 mode of treatment (i.e. radiation, although there are different technologies used to utilize it), and because I would not have a say in location of residency/future jobs. I can also see the rad onc job market also saturating in near future..

but now I'm starting to talk myself out of radiology..

considering all things equal (i.e. my interest in both), should I just decide base on life style because reimbursements are most likely going to decrease across the board in both fields and are difficult to predict anyways..

im an average applicant for both fields so wont be going to a powerhouse residency that would have helped with future job recruitment
i like the academic nature of both fields (hoping to do cancer research)
I like that there is possibility of procedure-based options in both fields if I do start craving patient interaction during residency (IR vs. brachytherapy)
i do want to have a life-style, but don't mind working hard
i want to have some-sort of control over where I work in the future because I have kids/family
i do put importance on income because i come from a low socioeconomic background and have a LOT of loans/debt

i understand no one can decide this for me but would be nice to hear some different perspectives (pros/cons) from current residents and radiologists..and if they have any advice/suggestions and whether they would do it again considering the current state of the field

so confused..

also wanted to say I hope I don't offend anyone by discussing the pros/cons of their field (every field has its pros/cons)..

You should choose based on what interests you most at this point. Most other things are either changing or can not be predicted. I would be very cautious going into this field if you have any doubt or can see yourself doing something else. The current negative trends in this field are very concerning.

umm, you must be confused.

They are about as different as two specialties could possibly be

Members don't see this ad :)
umm, you must be confused.

They are about as different as two specialties could possibly be

Wait, but both specialties are called RADI-something. :confused::confused:

Well, don't choose one field or another based on reimbursements.

Did you realize that rad onc got hit hard this year with 11% cuts? Yeah, rad onc. It's probably still in the crosshairs for a while.

No specialty is immune. Radiology and cardiology were hit recently. Rad onc this year. I hear ortho is likely coming up soon.

Most rad/onc applicants have a lot of research, many with PhDs. The fields are unrelated obviously. Rad/onc lifestyle seems to be much better. Everyone knows cancer doesn't grow on weekends or after 5.

Most rad/onc applicants have a lot of research, many with PhDs. The fields are unrelated obviously. Rad/onc lifestyle seems to be much better. Everyone knows cancer doesn't grow on weekends or after 5.

LOL, that should be their motto, "Cancer doesn't grow on the weekends or after 5."