10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Medical Student
:confused: I've heard that when it comes to rec letters, optimal is 3 science and 2 non-science. What I'm confused about is whether these have to come from professors, as in 3 science professors and 2 non-science professors, or if they can come from other areas fulfilling those areas... for example 2 sciences coming from my research lab and my clinic and then 1 from my youth group. Thanks for the help if you respond. :confused:

lilmo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2004
Status
jnguyen0815 said:
:confused: I've heard that when it comes to rec letters, optimal is 3 science and 2 non-science. What I'm confused about is whether these have to come from professors, as in 3 science professors and 2 non-science professors, or if they can come from other areas fulfilling those areas... for example 2 sciences coming from my research lab and my clinic and then 1 from my youth group. Thanks for the help if you respond. :confused:
I had letters from 2 science professors, my leadership studies advisor, my boss (I worked as an RA in the dorms for 3 years), and a physician I had spent a lot of time shadowing. I think it's better to get letters from a variety of people rather than just professors. It shows you have interests and responsibilities outside of school.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
I think it depends on what the school is asking for. Many times the school asks specifically for letters of rec from science profs and non-science profs, and some ask for letters from other people besides your profs, such as a boss or physician or volunteer coordinator, etc. I think if you're coming straight from college, its fine to have all profs write letters for you, and maybe 1 or 2 non-profs. If you've been out of college for awhile, its fine to have non-profs write you recs, such as the people I mentioned above.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
jnguyen0815 said:
What I'm confused about is whether these have to come from professors, as in 3 science professors and 2 non-science professors, or if they can come from other areas fulfilling those areas... for example 2 sciences coming from my research lab and my clinic and then 1 from my youth group. Thanks for the help if you respond. :confused:
other assortments of LOR's are perfectly fine, but i would suggest getting at least 1 letter from a science prof who knows you in a classroom/academic setting to guage that particular set of abilities. although, i wouldn't say this is a deal-breaker, either.