Confused about Step 1??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Helicase12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a third year DO student who got my step 1 score back a few weeks ago and I'm confused about whether I should be happy, sad or indifferent about it? I got a 225, my comlex is a 540 and my gpa is around 3.5. I really want university IM with a fellowship in pulm/cc and I'm not sure if I'm being unrealistic or I stand a good shot? Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Based solely on your COMLEX score, your chances of matching IM is ~90%. Unfortunately, the NRMP data don't provide info about DO's match with respect to their USMLE scores. However, IMG's with your score have ~70% odds of matching. If we take the average of both these data point, then your odds of matching should be ~80%.

Matching university programs can be competitive, but definitely doable. Your scores won't keep out. Just apply broadly and smartly and you should be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
So I'm a third year DO student who got my step 1 score back a few weeks ago and I'm confused about whether I should be happy, sad or indifferent about it? I got a 225, my comlex is a 540 and my gpa is around 3.5. I really want university IM with a fellowship in pulm/cc and I'm not sure if I'm being unrealistic or I stand a good shot? Any opinions?

It's not unrealistic but I certainly wouldn't say you have a "good" shot. A below average step 1 score isn't doing you any favors. Focus on low-tier programs and those in undesirable locations and you might end up at a university program. Make sure you apply to plenty of community programs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would guess that comlex score is completely irrelevant to matching competitive university IM programs. Have to have USMLE. 225 isn't great for the situation but I don't think it will sink you. Good luck.

Oh and crush step 2.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses... I guess my main concern was should I be happy that I took step 1 or not, I mean is a 225 better than no step 1 at all? I just kinda feel like I'm still in that grey zone and wondering if I wasted the time and the money or if it was worth it?

Thanks for the responses... I guess my main concern was should I be happy that I took step 1 or not, I mean is a 225 better than no step 1 at all? I just kinda feel like I'm still in that grey zone and wondering if I wasted the time and the money or if it was worth it?

It doesn't matter. What's done is done. Not to mention no one can actually answer that question until at least after you apply and start hearing back from residency programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Agree with MT above, since it's done and doesn't matter.

That said, Freida has cutoffs for many university IM programs at 220 and some explicitly require Step 1, so just from that perspective, you now meet cutoffs for programs that wouldn't have considered you with just a COMLEX. Now whether those v programs consider you for an interview either way, as MT said, no one can answer that.

DO here, I scored similar on usmle 1 and have >17 Em interviews at some Great university programs with no step 2. I know it's not IM
But you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
DO here, I scored similar on usmle 1 and have >17 Em interviews at some Great university programs with no step 2. I know it's not IM
But you will be fine

You are a DO with a sub-230 without a step 2 with more than 10 University ACGME EM invites? Can you share some of the programs you are referring to?

You are a DO with a sub-230 without a step 2 with more than 10 University ACGME EM invites? Can you share some of the programs you are referring to?

Rochester uconn hofstra/LIJ Stony brook Ubuffalo etc etc

I was told that stony brook has a hard time recruiting US students because of its location... However, as a US MD student with 215-220 step 1, it is in my top list...

I was told that stony brook has a hard time recruiting US students because of its location... However, as a US MD student with 215-220 step 1, it is in my top list...
I was very happy with the interview invite and am really excited for the program. I am sure you will have great luck !