confused about the MCAT!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WWU_Viking

I'm not applying to med schools until the end of my last year in undergrad.Im confused about the MCAT. I. plan on taking it the summer before my last year in udergradWhat classes should be taken BEFORE taking the MCAT. Are the bare minimum pre reqs for med school enough? On top of that I would have taken:

Genetics
Human AP
I know for sure I WILL NOT be taking biochem before I take the MCAT however. Will I be in trouble?

Members don't see this ad.

WWU_Viking said:
I'm not applying to med schools until the end of my last year in undergrad.Im confused about the MCAT. I. plan on taking it the summer before my last year in udergradWhat classes should be taken BEFORE taking the MCAT. Are the bare minimum pre reqs for med school enough? On top of that I would have taken:

Genetics
Human AP
I know for sure I WILL NOT be taking biochem before I take the MCAT however. Will I be in trouble?
No. I'm scoring fine (11-13) on the sciences with the bare minimums + cell bio (hasn't helped IMO)

I'm sure anymore classes will be icing on the cake but if you foundation is strong, you'll be ok.

WWU_Viking said:

Genetics
Human AP

I scored 13 on both PS and BS. I had less than the bare minimum pre-reqs in PS (missing a physics class). In BS, I had the bio year plus genetics, but was missing O. Chem lab (a very small part of the BS section). I have never taken biochem.

I don't recommend taking it with any missing pre-reqs unless you can study your butt off to teach yourself the material. Just make sure you have a year of physics, gen. chem, o. chem, and bio and you should be good. That's all you really need to do well, though extra classes certainly should not hurt you at all.